1980 GS 1100E Carb Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1980 GS 1100E Carb Swap

I am looking to change my carbs. My carbs are junk. Anyone know what carbs will swap with my carbs ? I would like to go to mechanical slide and get away from the vaccum slide carbs. Bike is stock 1980 GS 1100E. Any help would be great. Thanks

Do you mean "junk" as far as far as performance? or junk as far as starting & running? they rarely wear out, too few moving parts, & easily repairable with a good cleaning & a few "O" rings. A set of 36mm GS 1150 carbs would be a good bolt-on upgrade for a stock 1100, but they are also CV's
    1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Any of the correctly spaced 33 MM Mikuni roundslide smoothbores would be a good choice, or even the 36MM flatslide Mikunis. Why don't you want to use the vacuum slide carbs? I ask because any of the air cooled GSXR 750 or 1100 carbs work REALLY well on the GSs. You can find the smoothbores & flatslides on Ebay fairly often but expect to pay between 300.00 to 450.00 dollars. You could get the GSXR carbs for a hundred or less most of the time. Sometimes even WITH jet kits in them already. If you are riding the bike on the street & never drag racing it, I would use the GSXR carbs, & I am a drag racer and engine builder! Good luck either way. Ray.

Comment

Carbs

I found a set of carbs off an 87 GSXR 750...will they work on a 80 1100E ?

Comment

go with the 36 Mikuni flatslides..........................

Comment

If you want to go for slide carbs rather than CV the GS1000 Slide carbs would do the job.
            It would mean going down to the VM28SS sized carbs.
            You would have to change the throttle control's as its push pull, the inlet rubbers and airbox plus possibly change the width of the bracket holding them on to get the unit to fit to your cylinder head.
            Racer's of the day always wanted these as they were easier to tune and get running right. When riding it was a case of twist the throttle and wait 1,2,3,4,Fiveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Suzuki mad
            1981 GS1000ET
            1983 GS(X)1100ESD
            2002 GSF1200K1
            Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2007, 03:01 AM. Reason: Added more....

Comment

Originally posted by pokeneyeracing View Post
              I found a set of carbs off an 87 GSXR 750...will they work on a 80 1100E ?
              Yes, those will work fine & they are 34 MM also. You would get more performance from the 88 & later 36s though. Find the # for Factory Jet Kits & ask for Mark. He probably has the needles you need for either set of carbs. Let me know if I can help. Ray.

Comment

Carbs

These carbs are off an 87 GSXR 750, they have stage 3 jet kit and K&N filters. I already have a header on my bike. And they are under $100. Think these will work on my 80 GS 1100E ?

Comment

These carbs will not be a bolt on and go. They never are. You will be messing with the jetting for awhile to get it right. My buddie put the 36mm flatsides (88-91 gsxr 1100?) on a 82 1100 and could never get the pilot circuit perfect but the carbs out performed the stock carbs in every way. Take off wasn't even in the same building. Sounds like Rapidray could give you a base start setting with the carbs but you will be doing plug chops to get each circuit tuned in. I don't want to deter you from doing the upgrade but it does take patience and a learning curve to pull it off.

Unless the diaphragms on the slides have tears or pinholes in them I wouldn't consider them junk. They are rebuildable in every way. I have found good diaphragms off Ebay carbs plus you get a backup rack.
                  Last edited by chef1366; 05-14-2007, 11:55 PM.
                  1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                  1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

These carbs are off an 87 GSXR 750, they have stage 3 jet kit and K&N filters. I already have a header on my bike. And they are under $100. Think these will work on my 80 GS 1100E ?
                    Thats a good deal for those carbs. Just make sure that all the floats are good because the floats are kind of expensive. I have a couple of sets and played with the pilots and couldn't get them small enough. It will run a little rich but big inprovement over the stock 34's. I also have some 33's that work well but I fanally just bought the RS Flatslide 36's.

Comment

Jeff! How are you! I was going to stop by today but I wasn't sure.
                      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I say BUY them! I can help you get the jetting right. Also, you don't need to spend a HUNDRED bucks on K&Ns when you can get those carbs with filters already! Even if you DID need filters you could get them from APE for WAY less than that! If you want help call me at 714-356-7845. Ray.
                        Last edited by rapidray; 05-14-2007, 11:56 PM.

Comment

Carbs

I picked up the carbs and filters for $75. Put them on the bike and it runs great. Thanks for the help.

Comment

Working...
                          X