Speedometer issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedometer issues

Ever since I bought my 82 gs750T I had felt the speedo was off a bit. A while ago I drove past one of those radar signs and looked at the speedo and it was reading 15mph over what the radar said. Ive also noticed a wirring sound when I slow down and it stops when the bike is stopped. Which part is goin bad? The assembly at the wheel?

might need a new guage

I have dealt with several speedometers that were gummed up inside and were slow to return to zero and slow to show actual speed. The grease or what ever it is they used years ago migrates down to an internal ring/bell looking thing that gets gummed up. I have been successful in disassembling the spedometer by carefully prying the lip that holds the cover to the body with a screwdriver (its ugly and very difficult) and once seperated was able to clean the gunk off that bell/ring looking thing also clean the little pinnion gear and relube(very lightly).
    There is a thread where a guy used a drill and cut the orange plastic body all the way around to open it then glued it back togeather
    http://www.thegsresources.com/garage...ide_gauges.htm. These are extreme measures and you have to eliminate the posability that the spedometer cable is not kinked. More then likely there is crap inside your guage if you hear noise at the guage. While riding, touch/nudge the guage if the noise changes then its more then likely in the guage. I replaced a cable on mine thinking it was kinked. It wasnt, it was the guage. One more thing....if you go inside the guage as I described, the indicator dial is very brittle and can break easily if you move it past the 0 mph stop post (did that once and repaired it by super glueing a sliver of clear plastic behind the broken dial like a splint)
    Last edited by Guest; 05-14-2007, 12:54 AM.

Comment

Probably nothing wrong. GS speedos are notoriously off in an optimistic way. They most always read higher than normal, usually farther off the faster you go. I've had two different speedos on my 82 750T and they are both at least 10mph off. If you have a GPS unit, strap it on the bars and you will see how much you are off at different speeds.

Comment

My speedometer reads 2-3 mph too fast. Another thought is that a front tire that is not the same size/profile as stock can throw the speedo off, but I'm not sure how much.

Comment

Thanks I took apart but wasnt very dirty. Seems it was takin apart before. Found evidence of that and added some to it. Need the rain to go away too try it out.

Comment

use a cordless on the cable with a flat tip bit, you can tell if its ok and might be able to get the noise if its still there.

Comment

I did that after I oiled it and didnt really hear anything. Took it out for a short ride and it is now even worse. I pegged the speedo in third gear lol. Dunno what happened but I guess Ill look for a replacement or mount an aftermarket speedo. The noise is worse inside it also. Thanks Johnny

Comment

Johnny, I want to buy your bike! How much do you want for it? I have been looking for something fast enough to peg the speedo in third gear! LOL! Ray.

Comment

I would send you the speedo for your bike but it mysteriously started working again. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
                    Johnny, I want to buy your bike! How much do you want for it? I have been looking for something fast enough to peg the speedo in third gear! LOL! Ray.
                    82 had the 85MPH speedos I think.

Comment

Working...
                    X