Tubeless-tire wheels -- 1979 - 1982

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tubeless-tire wheels -- 1979 - 1982

I just read a post here that suggested [but did not actually state] that the cast wheels of 1980 and 1981 GS850Gs did NOT take tubeless tires, and that tubeless tires came in on GS850Gs with the 1982 model.... Is that right?

-- Bill Lloyd

Yes, that's what I've been told too, both on this forum and from an experienced riding buddy of mine. I can use tubeless tires, but I, uh, have to put a tube in them. :? Go figure. I'll be getting tires soon. I'll let you know how it goes.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

When I got my bike I found the tires to be tubeless but the rims weren't. They did hold air though. :shock:
      I use tubes now.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

My 81 850 GL had no tubes when I got it. I replaced them with another set of tubeless tires. I hadn't heard that I should use tubes, so I didn't think to look at the rims to see. The tire shop didn't say anything, and I've had no problems.

Comment

My '79 has a tubeless rim (rear) and "the other kind" on the front. Run 'em both without tubes.

Comment

Originally posted by Bill Lloyd View Post
            I just read a post here that suggested [but did not actually state] that the cast wheels of 1980 and 1981 GS850Gs did NOT take tubeless tires, and that tubeless tires came in on GS850Gs with the 1982 model.... Is that right?

-- Bill Lloyd
            That is correct. I offer a contrary opinion: go with manufacturer's recommendation and install tubeless only on wheels marked as such.

The 82 tubeless wheels can be retrofitted to the earlier models. They're interchangeable. These 82 wheels are often available on eBay for very little money, and you can then safely run tubeless tires on your older 850.

Comment

-- Bill Lloyd
              That is NOT correct, as stated. They ALL take tubeless tires but some need tubes installed in the tubeless tires. I think this differentiation has caused much of the confusion. (I'm not sure you can even find a tube type tire in the sizes that our bikes use; they're pretty much a thing of the past.)
              Last edited by chuckycheese; 05-22-2007, 10:22 AM.
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

OK, chuckycheese, you got me there.

Comment

Right. The issue is not the tire, but the rim.....and whether or not a tube is necessary on rims not marked "tubeless".

The older style rims designed for tubes have a couple of issues as I understand it. One is that they don't hold air as well (though I have no problem with that issue on my older rim). The other is the nature of the lip on the rim that holds the tire. Rims marked "tubeless" hold the tire a little better so that in case of air pressure loss, the tire doesn't have as much opportunity to "slide" on the rim. I've come to the conclusion that the safety issues are minimal (very), but others very much disagree with my conclusion.

If the rim is not marked "tubeless" I'd tell someone to put a tube on it even though I don't.

Comment

Some tube rims accept tubeless tires and do not leak. The only way to find out is to put tubeless on the rims and try them out.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                      OK, chuckycheese, you got me there.
                      I wasn't trying to be a 'smarty pants'!:-D But, there's been a lot of posts about this subject and I think those terms have caused some needless confusion.

By the way, my bike requires tubes, front and rear.
                      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

Tubeless tires -- What was the point of the cast wheels?

Thanks to all, and I admit I don't get it: If they weren't MEANT for tubeless tires, what was the point in the makers' going to cast wheels in the first place? I'm thinking of getting a new Triumph Bonneville next spring, held back until now because of the wire wheels and thus [I presume] no tubeless tires. Having HAD flats in the past, I see no excuse for wheels that do not take tubeless tires. NOW I'm told that Moto Guzzi HAS wire wheels DESIGNED TO TAKE tubeless tires, and I now (thus) see even less excuse for Triumph's Bonneville wheels OR for the cast wheels on my GSs. :-(

-- Bill

Comment

My guess would be for weight and trueness.
                          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Thanks to all, and I admit I don't get it: If they weren't MEANT for tubeless tires, what was the point in the makers' going to cast wheels in the first place? I'm thinking of getting a new Triumph Bonneville next spring, held back until now because of the wire wheels and thus [I presume] no tubeless tires. Having HAD flats in the past, I see no excuse for wheels that do not take tubeless tires. NOW I'm told that Moto Guzzi HAS wire wheels DESIGNED TO TAKE tubeless tires, and I now (thus) see even less excuse for Triumph's Bonneville wheels OR for the cast wheels on my GSs. :-
                            -- Bill
                            Bill, let's go back to the late 70's and early 80's. I remember one of the first Japanese motorcycles with mag wheels was the Yamaha XS750D, the Silverbird triple shaftie. The manufacturer specifically forbid the installation of tubeless tires on these wheels. It wasn't until 79 or 80 that Yamaha changed the design and/or materials used on the wheels to specify tubeless installation. Same thing probably happened to Suzuki. The early 850's, for example, 79, 80, and 81, came with the "pentagram" design and nothing that said for tubeless application. It wasn't until the 82 wheel came out that it specified tubeless installation. Yamaha and Suzuki were probably gun shy at the time, and wanted to introduce a cast wheel into the market before they were ready to be certified for tubeless installation.

Your front wheel on the GS1100G you have will fit an older 850 with no problem. The old wheel will fit the 82 and newer bikes, just as the new wheel will fit the older 79, 80, and 81 bikes. As someone says, it may be possible to run the older wheel tubeless, but I wouldn't do it; it may fail in the middle of nowhere and turn out to be a PITA.

One suggestion I have of people is this: eBay very often has these newer front wheels on auction for very little money. Buying one of these tubeless wheels may bring the peace of mind some of us need.

At least both old and new shafties are fitted with rear wheels that are designed to be tubeless.

Comment

Working...
                            X