gas tank liner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

gas tank liner

I just got a deal on a bike and after looking closer at the tank i noticed a small leak from the left side. the tank is clean inside and the paint is still in good condition and its been pinstriped and i don't want to damage the paint in anyway. i was wondering what kind of places lined gas tanks on the inside, my step dad always took it to a radiator shop in town but they screwed him over in the past so im looking for another place to get it done. i was just wondering where to look in the phone book for one of these places. thanks in advanced.

Check with a radiator shop about having the tank lined

Comment

I'd suggest the POR-15 kit.

Do it yourself for 35.75 plus shipping.

Comment

Leak

Simply lining the tank will not necessarily fix the leak; my guess is that it won't. If you take it to a radiator shop, be certain they understand that it leaks so they can deal with it appropriately.
        1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

thanks for the help ill probably take it down to a radiator shop cause i need the bike soon cause i start a new job and its on the other side of town and a lifted f 150 wont do too well on gas

Comment

This goon at a radiator shop I took my CM400 tank to ruined the paint and did a bad job of soldering on the tank. And it still had a leak. I would talk to a motorcycle shop and ask them who they would recommend. Radiators are different from gas tanks in too many ways.
            Don't buy a Kreme kit, it did not work on my 400 tank and others have had the same experience.
            1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
            1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Yeah

Yeah, you'd probably be best off by taking it to a bike shop that specializes in older bikes. A lot of people at regular shops that sees only newer bikes have probably never even seen a tank that leaks.
              1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

i live in a smaller city, Sioux falls sd, if anyone knows where that is and there isnt too many motorcycle shops but ill do some checking around, i have a couple of friends at the suzuki shop in town.

Comment

Warning about tank lining

I've taken two GS bikes, so far, to a nearby bike shop for tank cleaning and lining; he did a good job but, desite long experience with these bikes, he didn't realize that there is a tiny hole in the filler neck of each tank, that prevents gas "belching" from the tank when the tank is nearly full and the engine is hot. Make sure whoever does this finds that hole and makes sure it doesn't get plugged up with the material used to line the tank!

-- Bill

Comment

I did the tank on my gs850GL with the very popular KREEM kit available in any bike accesory shop. I never did it before and it worked perfect for me and it was really easy to do. I no longer have any issues with rust in the carbs. As far as mending any holes in the tank, I dont know if that would work.

Comment

I have done both the Kreem and the POR15. Both work very well if you follow the directions closely. The 83 I just picked up had a bad rot through situation that was corrected with patches welded in done by a friend ( professional welder) of the PO. The tank was also lined with kreem but it was done very poorly. I am going to redo it.

You can do the job yourself and save lots. If the tank is rusty fill it with regular white vinegar ( about $1 a gallon) let it sit a couple of days. Pour out the rusty sludge and flush with lots of clean water. Let the tank fully dry. Use a hair dryer or compressor to blow in fresh& or hot air. Make sure it is dry. Apply the chemicals as per the instructions. Read the instructions and follow same very closely.

Welding the tank is very dangerous so shouldn't be done by an amatuer ( fumes even after along time exposed to air can be explosive) so be extra careful. It may be necessary to fill large holes. In the case of smaller holes, you can plug with plumber's epoxy putty available from Home Cheapo or Lowes. Very easy to use and impervious to gas.

Give it a try. It takes a little time but well worth it.

Cheers,
                      Spyug.

Comment

Originally posted by JTsGS650 View Post
                        http://www.por15.com/Cycle-Tank-Repa...2&category=170

Do it yourself for 35.75 plus shipping.
                        Been there, done that!!! POR-15 does a great job. Do a search on POR-15, there's lots of info and tips in the forum.
                        '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Working...
                        X