Help!! Still Doesn't Start!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help!! Still Doesn't Start!!

Hi yall, I have a 1983 gs550es, ita ll started when i was riding one day and the bike just shut off on me while riding. i pulled over and checked EVERYTHING. my ignition fuse blew out and i couldn't get it started.This happened in november 2006. now i tried changing the spark plugs, still no good. it cranks but no sign of it starting. i was told that is was my ignitor. so i went and bought an ignitor. NOTHING. im not getting a spark and i am all out of options.I have changed all the fuses. THIS IS MY FIRST BIKE.I AM A NOOB.PLZZ HELP ME.

BTW NO SPARK. I dont know what else i could check.

Thank you
    Nadeem

One thing to try is to take apart all the electrical connectors and look for corrosion. My old 450 had an intermitent no start issue that was due to a poor electrical contact. Can't hurt to check this first since it's free.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Are you getting gas?
      Gustov
      80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
      81 GS 1000 G
      79 GS 850 G
      81 GS 850 L
      83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
      80 GS 550 L
      86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
      2002 Honda 919
      2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
        Are you getting gas?
        I drained all the old gas and threw some new in. i don't thing its anything with the fuel system because i have no spark what so ever from any plug.
        I just don't know what else to check?

Comment

If you have a book, Clymer or Haynes or such, there should be a check for the ignighter and pulse generator. Check the search link for coil checks. Use an Ohm meter and check wires for continunity. As you described the initation of the problem, it has to be a bad contact or broken wire. Blown fuse, direct short? Bad grounds cause all kinds of problems. A weak battery can cause weak or no spark as well.
          Keep us posted.
          V
          Gustov
          80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
          81 GS 1000 G
          79 GS 850 G
          81 GS 850 L
          83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
          80 GS 550 L
          86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
          2002 Honda 919
          2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Yeah, you've got to verify that power is actually getting to the coils. You might have power going into the ignition switch (key switch), but none coming OUT of it to the coils - this DOES happen. Use a multimeter to check the ENTIRE ignition circuit. If you don't have a wiring diagram then go get one. You're going to have to dive in and learn - use the search feature of this forum.

Comment

Progress

right now i am in front of the bike and i am looking at everything i can. i have taken my coils out and i am just about to check my circuits.HOPE IT WORKS OUT TO BE SOMETHING MINOR.

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                If you have a book, Clymer or Haynes or such, there should be a check for the ignighter and pulse generator. Check the search link for coil checks. Use an Ohm meter and check wires for continunity. As you described the initation of the problem, it has to be a bad contact or broken wire. Blown fuse, direct short? Bad grounds cause all kinds of problems. A weak battery can cause weak or no spark as well.
                Keep us posted.
                V
                YES!!
                THE BATTERY WAS REALLY WEAK AND I HAD TO OUSH START IT EVERY TIME
                THE DAY IT DIED ON ME, I DID PUSH START IT. IT TURNED OFF ON ME WITHIN 3 MININUTES WHILE RIDING

Comment

After all my diognosis, i have a dought in my stator(generator)(pickup)
                  i have ran a test on the coils and are reading at 5 ohms. my wires are all responding fine.
                  IS THERE ANYWAY I CAN TEST THE STATOR?
                  AND HOW WOULD I FIND OUT IF IT HAS BLOWN??
                  Where are the ground wires on the bike?
                  How would i be able to diagnose the kill switch?

BTW
                  THANK YOU to everyone who has givin me the advise.
                  Very helpful.

BEST GS RESOURCE SITE

Comment

Charge the battery to a full charge and get the thing started. When these bikes run too low on amperage, they will do exactly as you have described...die and not restart. Not even fire. Can you use a jumper battery and a set of cables? If you can get it running, you should see 14-15.5 volts at the battery when truning 4500-5000. If you don't, take apart all the connections to the battery, R/R, and all grounds, and clean them up good. Then retest.

Comment

As Deve mentioned, charge the battery, get the bike running. Place a volt meter across the battery terminals to see if it is charging at all. At idle, you may only see 12.5-13 volts, but above 2500 rpm you should see close to 14.

To check your stator, here is a link to part 4 of the Stator Papers in the garage section of this site. There is a good troubleshooting tree there that is easy to follow and will tell you exactly what is wrong with your charging system.

Where are the ground wires? Everywhere.
                      The more common ones that need attention are from the battery to the chassis, from the chassis to the engine, and from the regulator/rectifier to the chassis. It is better to run the r/r ground wire directly to the battery.

How to diagnose the kill switch?
                      Look for power at the coils with the key on. Operate the kill switch, it should go off.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Dave8338 View Post
                        Charge the battery to a full charge and get the thing started. When these bikes run too low on amperage, they will do exactly as you have described...die and not restart. Not even fire. Can you use a jumper battery and a set of cables? If you can get it running, you should see 14-15.5 volts at the battery when truning 4500-5000. If you don't, take apart all the connections to the battery, R/R, and all grounds, and clean them up good. Then retest.
                        I have tried doing it with cables.
                        It just turns over and over!
                        DOES NOT HAVE A SPARK
                        i have topped off the battery acid
                        I WILL CLEAM THEM GOOD AND UPDATE WITH YALL!!
                        THANX

Comment

Anxious

I will soon post pics and keep you updated

Comment

So, if you haven't got spark even when hooked up to a car battery, then you've obviously got an ignition problem - So no matter how much you futz around with the battery and charging system, you'll get nowhere.
                            So disconnect the charging system and check the IGNITION circuits/components only.
                            No venom intended here: This has been discussed a million times - do a search!

Originally posted by syncali View Post
                            I have tried doing it with cables.
                            It just turns over and over!
                            DOES NOT HAVE A SPARK
                            I WILL CLEAM THEM GOOD AND UPDATE WITH YALL!!
                            THANX

Comment

Originally posted by syncali View Post
                              Hopefully, just by using DISTILLED water. :shock:

sigpic
                              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                              Family Portrait
                              Siblings and Spouses
                              Mom's first ride
                              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
                              X