Reinstalling carbs - '80 GS1000E

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reinstalling carbs - '80 GS1000E

Well, I went to reinstall the carbs on the bike. The ports on the carbs slid in well into the intake boots no problem. But, I must have dropped a few IQ points because I can't for the life of me find where the top bracket on the carbs bolts onto the frame. There's a galvanized bracket on top of the rack of carbs with a 5 mm threaded hole in it that should attach the carbs to the frame - somewhere. Could someone please clue me in?

Thanks!

On my 1100 the airbox was connected to the frame and not the carb rack.
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

I have not found any GS models that had the carb rack bolted/bracketed to the frame. The rack is normally snadwiched between the cylinder induction tubes and the tubes connecting the rack to the airbox. The airbox is bolted to the frame.

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Thanks for the response. :-D

I should add too that I'm now using K&N pods. So when using pods, how are the carbs supposed to be supported/attached to the frame?

Comment

The carbs are held onto the cylinder head manifold inlet rubbers by the four clamps that sit in the recess of the rubbers.
          The bracket that you refer to is for the choke cable.

Push the carbs right into the rubbers do up the clamps and away you go!

Don't forget to attach the fuel pipe and vent pipes before fitting the carbs.
          Attach the choke and throttle cables before fitting as this is much easier than when they are in position.

Good luck
          Chris

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
            Well, I went to reinstall the carbs on the bike. The ports on the carbs slid in well into the intake boots no problem. But, I must have dropped a few IQ points because I can't for the life of me find where the top bracket on the carbs bolts onto the frame. There's a galvanized bracket on top of the rack of carbs with a 5 mm threaded hole in it that should attach the carbs to the frame - somewhere. Could someone please clue me in?

Thanks!
            That sounds like the bracket for the throttle cable.

Comment

Lose the vent lines if you run pods. You tend to have fuel starvation at highway speeds.

Pics please!
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.

Comment

Got the carbs on, clamped, pods on and clamped, header & gaskets/muffler on and bolted snugly, throttle cable attached. Thanks for the help. :-D

Got some fresh gas in the tank, put the fuel valve on Prime, and waited a bit. Tried to start the engine. Crank crank crank, no start. Hrm. Pulled the screws slowly out under the float bowls. Carbs 2 & 3 dripped gas, 1 & 4 were dry as a bone. Put the valve back on prime, waited another 5 minutes. 1 & 4 still dry. Might be a clogged/bad fuel valve? Anyway, I poured some gas directly into the fuel hose, till 1 & 4 were full. Tried to start it, still no dice. What's the next step, check for spark? It ran strong when parked last November.

Chef-

Which vent lines were you talking about? The ones from carb to carb?
                Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2007, 01:25 PM.

Comment

The vent lines on the Ts between the carbs.
                  Are you getting spark? Is there gas on the spark plugs?

Comment

Got it running. \\/

Turns out there wasn't enough gas in the 1 & 4 carbs float bowls to kick it over, so a little more gas funneled into the carb fuel hose did the trick. It now runs from the gas in the tank no problem.

So now it starts up like a light switch, but immediately starts to idle at 4000 RPM. Turning the idle knob on the back has no real effect. Blipping the throttle actually brings the RPMs down for a little bit, but then it settles back in at around 4k RPM idle. The throttle cable has slack in it, and the carbs aren't getting hung up on anything. From searching the forum archives, this is a possible intake leak, right? Just ordered some new intake boots and o-rings so that a good seal can be ensured - the old intake boots look like they haven't been changed in a long time.

Comment

Working...
                    X