Mileage before Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mileage before Rebuild

How many miles can you expect out of a GS1000 before an engine rebuild is required?

I would guess that it would depend greatly on how it is treated throughout its life. 8-[

If it is treated as transportation and ridden in a sane, even spirited, manner, there is every reason to expect over 100,000 miles, I'm sure.

On the other hand, if you ride rather aggressively on the way to the drag strip every weekend, then thrash it at the strip,...who knows?

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by jsthomps View Post
      How many miles can you expect out of a GS1000 before an engine rebuild is required?
      Good question........I've got 86000km on my 79 now and it's still running great without a rebuild excepting the stator which I've rewound a few times (just finished it again this weekend). Same clutch.....3 sets of points only. The whole bike has been reliable except for the stator......I get a couple of seasons on tires (a lot of chipseal secondary roads around here).

Comment

Originally posted by jsthomps View Post
        My GS1100GK has 116,000 miles (91,000 are mine), and the head has never been off. Still the original stator and reg/rect. I ride about 12,000 miles a year. When will it need an engine rebuild? Heavens knows, but I won't mess with it as long as it's running as well as it does every day.

Neglect, (lack of miles and hours on a bike), is probably a motorcycle's worst enemy. These things are meant to be ridden, and ridden well, often, and for at least 20 country miles at a time. (In the winter, if I can't ride at least 20 miles, I don't even start the bike).

Take care of the GS1000, ride it often and yes, in a "spirited" manner -- it will last you a very long time, provided PO didn't abuse it.

Comment

Working...
        X