Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buzzing coming from headlight bucket

Hey guys,
    I thought I had an exhaust leak (which I do have a small one under the bike), but what I found was the chrome ring around my headlight bucket is vibrating and making a buzzing noise. My headlight bucket was cracked, so I replaced it, but the buzzing noise remains.... There is not much wiggle room there for a shim or something to add more pressure to that ring... Any ideas?

Is it up against the instrument cluster ? Might need to point it down a bit. How about isolate it with some foam weather stripping. I had some wires pinched between the bucket and the cluster that wore right through.
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

not it isn't hitting the cluster, it possibly is the smaller ring around the headlight glass itself... I just thought about that. I'll check here in a little bit, if that is all it is, I'll glue the hell out of it lol.

Comment

Mine did the same thing. I'm using an aftermarket headlight with replaceable bulb. I bought it from Cycle-Re-Cycle I believe. Mine buzzed quite loudly because the headlamp retaining ring wouldn't clamp the thing tight even though the screws were tightened all the way. What I did was put a small crimp in the three mounting tabs by bending them outward slightyl then back inward with some needle nose pliers so the tabs went from l to > shaped (over exagerrated here but you get the idea). This had the effect of shortening the tab and thus allowing the lamp housing to be tightly mounted. Real simple.
        Last edited by Guest; 05-30-2007, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Ok, found it... it is the small chrome ring around the headlight glass. Trying to remember if it is just decorative or not. Guess I'll tear it apart tonight and see if it can be glued or something... Annoying as hell lol

Comment

LOL, just my luck, that ring hold the bulb to the mounting ring behind it, so there is not much I can do about it....

Comment

Working...
            X