Hardware specs (type, hardness ect.)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help I'm stuck! I need to replace the bolts on my frontend - the ones holding the forks in the trees. And rather than buy some normal hardware store metric bolts which may be too soft/weak I'm looking for the diagrams etc which tell use what the marking on the blots mean. These #8 metric bolts have a number 7 and three (I think) slash marks on the head. FAthalifeofme I can't seem to remember where I saw this info before - cept maybe in the front cover of the Haynes manual for my truck.
    Any links - resources?

I remember seeing that in my Haynes manual for my old Accord. I've got the Haynes manual for my 1150, I'll check it when I get home and post up if it's in there ~

JM

Comment

I just went with stainless -- AFAIK that's about as hard as it gets so you can't go wrong. Plus it looks nice.

Comment

The number on the bolt is referring to it's torque specs. I forget exactly what it implies right now, but I can check when I get home.

Comment

Here's a link to a page with some info on the markings. Maybe it has the type you're looking for ~

JM

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
            The number on the bolt is referring to it's torque specs. I forget exactly what it implies right now, but I can check when I get home.
            Doesn't the number on the bolt actually refer to the grade of metal? You can use the grade of metal number as a rule-of-thumb for torque, though (lacking specific specs), hence that association.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
              Doesn't the number on the bolt actually refer to the grade of metal? You can use the grade of metal number as a rule-of-thumb for torque, though (lacking specific specs), hence that association.
              All I know is that in my Suzuki shop manual it refers to those numbers and the bolt size to determine the torque if it's not listed in the tables.

So yeah, you may be correct about the grade.

Comment

and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
                __________________________________________________ ______________________
                2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Working...
                X