Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bike Dies in the Rain - The Solution (cheap!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bike Dies in the Rain - The Solution (cheap!)

Well, some time ago I started trouble shooting my bike's "mysterious" habit of quiting on me in the rain. Where ever I happened to be. (and once in the middle of the freeway during rush hour in a wretched downpour) The bike would be fine if I could keep the RPM's really high, but if I let off the throttle for an instant, it died and wouldn't start back up.

I tried replacing plugs. I traced and cleaned every electrical connection. Nothing seemed to work. FINALLY, I was going over the bike with a spray bottle of water for the umpteenth time and noticed that when I sprayed the plugs, the motor died! Don't ask me why I didn't notice this any of the other times.

At any rate, I replaced all four spark plug boots for about $15.00 and that did it!

Thought you'd all like to know!

Mr. Goose,

:-D It never rains in Southern California, but I will remember this tip. Thanks for sharing.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Did I hear NEVER? Where's the water gonna come from this year?
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

:-D It never rains in Southern California,
        Well...he's almost right. When I lived out there ('74-'82) in only rained in January and part of February. 8-[

sigpic
        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
        Family Portrait
        Siblings and Spouses
        Mom's first ride
        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Hmmm... As I think about it, I only got rained on once in 4 years in San Diego... 83,84,86,87 They cut grooves in the highways then and it made riding rather interesting at times. Do they still do that?

Comment

Working...
          X