Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'78 GS1000 - That same old turn signal question

Hi all,

Just about got my '78 GS1000 road worthy but I still don't have turn signals. I've searched through the old messages and it seems like the detailed message on wiring around the auto cancel unit isn't there anymore. So I hope you'll bear with me while I ask a bunch of questions about fixing it.

The bike is a '78 GS1000 and the signals didn't work when I bought it. The bike had spent some time outdoors so I knew there would be some clean-up required. The turn signal switch pod was pretty weathered and had some corrosion. I went through it and cleaned all the contacts up so that they should be working. But they are not. I have a factory service manual and I followed the test procedure for the blinker system. The only issue I found was the manual cancel switch or the wire running to it is not working. So, what I would like to do is wire around the auto cancel unit. I have a GS550 switch pod that should work (it plugs right in to the harness where the GS1000 switch was) although it has a spare light blue wire.

Reading through the instructions here, I need to:

1. Remove the auto cancel unit.
    2. Jump the light green wire to the green with black wire from the four pronged connect off the auto cancel box.
    3. Do the same with the black and black with blue wires.
    4. Wire in a manual cancel blinker switch.
    5. Wire in a two pronged auto type blinker using the orange wire - This is the part that's confusing me. SqDancerLynn1 had posted:

"Connect a flasher from the center pin of the turn signal switch to the orange wire that you disconnected from the switch Use the orange wire to pull the new piece of wire thru the wire loom and route it to the headlite."

I'm dense when it comes to electrical stuff so can someone describe this in further detail? Which center pin on the turn signal switch (what color wire)? Where in the headlight is it routed to? Can anyone post some pictures of this?

Sorry for the long post and thank you in advance!!!

Jim
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2007, 08:05 AM.

You have it pretty much I put my flasher in front But You can put it in the original place. Their are several Orange wires hooked to the fuse block you need to trace which one goes to the turn signal switch. So you will need to unhook them from the fuse block & check with an ohm meter. Hook it to the flasher other end back to the fuse block.
    Also need to change the switch to something from ??? GS750/550 ?? One with a mechanical detent
    Last edited by Guest; 06-29-2007, 04:39 AM.

Comment

Thanks Lynn,

I think I get it - the flasher interrupts the orange wire in the blinker circuit somewhere between the turn signal switch and the fusebox.

What did you do with the other plug of wires that goes into the auto cancel unit once you remove it? Cover the plug and leave it alone or????

I have a turn signal switch from a GS550 that has the mechanical detent. It plugs directly into the harness just like the stock GS1000 switch did.

Thanks again!

Jim

Comment

Jim,

Here's the old post:

85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
        79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Hey RenoBruce,

Thanks for the link. I now have blinkers!!! I had to buy two flasher units. This first cheapo one from Walmart flashed extra slow. So I picked up a heavy duty one from the auto parts store and I am good to go!

Thanks again!

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by Diamondj View Post
            Hey RenoBruce,

Thanks for the link. I now have blinkers!!! I had to buy two flasher units. This first cheapo one from Walmart flashed extra slow. So I picked up a heavy duty one from the auto parts store and I am good to go!

Thanks again!

Jim
            WOOHOO! Glad I could help. :-D
            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
            79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Working...
            X