Need an ignition system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need an ignition system

Hi all - just found this forum and I've had my GS since 1984!

Bike: 1979 GS850G UK spec
    Problem: Piranha electronic ignition gave up. The company went bust (a couple of times!) and new owners don't start production for at least a couple of months. Went to refit the contact breakers (still in the attic after 15 years) but can't find the cam which fits on the automatic timing unit. Replacement ATU not available for at least 3 weeks and costs as much as fitting electronic ignition. I'm trying to track down used spares but I want to be back on the old girl ASAP .

Questions:
    Can anyone recommend an available electronic ignition system?
    Will an EI system off a later GS fit mine?
    OR, if I have to go back to contact breakers ....
    Will an ATU cam off another model of GS fit mine?
    Will other GS ATUs fit mine?

Hope someone can help
    Many thanks
    Rich

Reading, UK

Dynatek Dyna S.http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=439
    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Originally posted by RichB View Post
      Hi all - just found this forum and I've had my GS since 1984!

Bike: 1979 GS850G UK spec
      Problem: Piranha electronic ignition gave up. The company went bust (a couple of times!) and new owners don't start production for at least a couple of months. Went to refit the contact breakers (still in the attic after 15 years) but can't find the cam which fits on the automatic timing unit. Replacement ATU not available for at least 3 weeks and costs as much as fitting electronic ignition. I'm trying to track down used spares but I want to be back on the old girl ASAP .

Questions:
      Can anyone recommend an available electronic ignition system?
      Will an EI system off a later GS fit mine?
      OR, if I have to go back to contact breakers ....
      Will an ATU cam off another model of GS fit mine?
      Will other GS ATUs fit mine?

Hope someone can help
      Many thanks
      Rich

Reading, UK
      Welcome to the GSR Rich. What kept you so long?

Another alternative to the Dyna is a Boyer Bransden Digital Ignition. They were initially made for the British Classics but now do a range for the Oriental range as well.

Cheers
      Ian
      The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
      GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
      GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
      GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
      http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Thanks guys
        I've found supplier in the UK for the Dyna S. I'd googled a lot for electronic ignition but Dynotech stuff didn't come up. Nice one, Chef!

Ian: What took me so long? I haven't had a problem with my GS for 23 years. Bullet-proof!! It was my first 'real' bike and I want to be buried with her! Now I've found GSR I'll be sure to hang out here. Great forum.

I've had a look at the Boyer Bransden stuff but I'm waiting to see if any of their systems are suitable for the 850. Their list says '550/1000' but I'm waiting for them to get back to me to see if this means they do the range from the 550 to the 1000. This is probably the case.

If anyone knows about the interchangability of the Automatic Timing Units then I'd still love to know, just in case the ignition goes up the spout again some time in the next 23 years.

Thanks again

Rich

Comment

Just to close off this thread -

Called Boyer Bransden on Monday, received system Tuesday afternoon, disturbing the neighbours 1 hour later (15 mins to fit system and check the timing, 45 minutes trying to find the extension lead). £108 including VAT and postage, and 5 years warranty (2 more than than the Dyna S).

Having read through the stator papers I thought I'd check out my charging system while I was getting grubby. No probs and still have the original stator after 23 years and a lot of miles. This might be due to fitting an Electrex unit 15 years ago 'by accident', after the battery stopped charging. I found them in an industrial unit 5 minutes walk away from a Stoke Row pub I used to drink in!

Thanks again for the help

Rich

Comment

Originally posted by RichB View Post
            Just to close off this thread -

Called Boyer Bransden on Monday, received system Tuesday afternoon, disturbing the neighbours 1 hour later (15 mins to fit system and check the timing, 45 minutes trying to find the extension lead). £108 including VAT and postage, and 5 years warranty (2 more than than the Dyna S).

Having read through the stator papers I thought I'd check out my charging system while I was getting grubby. No probs and still have the original stator after 23 years and a lot of miles. This might be due to fitting an Electrex unit 15 years ago 'by accident', after the battery stopped charging. I found them in an industrial unit 5 minutes walk away from a Stoke Row pub I used to drink in!

Thanks again for the help

Rich

Rich, I still have the original stator on my bike as well, with no charging issues, as yet! Let us know how you find the BB system. I didn't realise that the Dyna S system only had 2 years warranty!
            It's amazing what you find out over a few beers.

Cheeeeers
            Ian
            The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Working...
            X