kick 1000 ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kick 1000 ?

any one ever convert a 1000 or 1100 to kickstart? do the 1000 /1100 cases even have the machining for the kicker?

The cases were redesigned when the did away with the kickstart

Comment

i can't imagine it would be very easy to kick start a 1000cc bike

Comment

My 650 still had a hole in the case (internally) for the kickstart. The clutch cover didn't, though. I always wondered if you could get another cover and bolt a kicker on there. Can't remember if my 750 has that.

Comment

my 750 and all 3 of my 1000's dont have anything for a kickstart...

Comment

Was there ever a 750 kicker? If there's still a hole on the inside, and a cover could be swapped or machined, I'd love to have a dual start.

Comment

1979 was the last year for kick starters, but I don't think that all models still had them that year.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So do the 750 and 1000 share the same cases? could a set of 78' 750g (or 850g) cases be mated to an 80' 1000g topend? 1000cc fours are dead easy to kick.... for fun try kicking an oldklr 650single.....thats another story.

Comment

My '78 GS750 had both a kicker & electric starter. But it was a Japanese domestic model. I bought it new when I was stationed there.

Comment

79 850 has a kick and the same type clutch cover as a 1000. I have no idea if it would work, but it looks like a good place to start

Comment

nice, I belive more research is in order. but it looks like we are dealing with quite similar powerplant. I'll see what else I can find out.

Comment

Originally posted by Jd Powell View Post
                        nice, I belive more research is in order. but it looks like we are dealing with quite similar powerplant. I'll see what else I can find out.
                        Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by aosmith View Post
                          i can't imagine it would be very easy to kick start a 1000cc bike
                          I had a 79 GS850G 10 years ago; it had a kickstart. In the two riding seasons I rode it, I must have used the kickstarter maybe once, just to feel what it was like.

It wasn't pleasant. One throw of the kickstarter would move the crank only a little bit, and then not very fast.

I used the old reliable electric start. It worked every time. That's because I kept the bike in top condition at all times.

I can't imagine why anyone would want to kickstart a bike with a four-cylinder liter engine. To each his own, I guess...

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                            I can't imagine why anyone would want to kickstart a bike with a four-cylinder liter engine. To each his own, I guess...
                            Dead battery?

My father-in-law has a first gen 750 with a kickstart and when he gets a dead battery kicking it over is much easier than jumping it or bumping it. Starts easy-as-pie with the kicker, too.

Comment

The GS1000 mill is ten punds lighter that the 750 it's based on. The loss of the kick apporatus is largely responsible for that.

Comment

Working...
                              X