New Owner - 82 GS750, a few ?'s

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Owner - 82 GS750, a few ?'s

I recently purchased an 82 GS 750 from a friend of mine for $50. Since then i've changed the oil and filter, spark plugs, cleaned the carbs , and replaced the fuel lines. It runs very good, as long as it has a charged battery. I have a new stator and rectifier on the way. I have a small oil leak coming from the left side of the head at the head gasket. Aside from changing the head gasket, what can I do to remedy this leak? Also, it does not have an air filter. When trying to open the throttle a little more than cruising, it doesn't want to rev and sputters. Is this from the missing filter?
    Thanks

Wow, nice find!

As far as the oil leak, make DARN sure that's actually where it's coming from! It's not uncommon for the valve cover (or half-moon seals) or tach gear to leak, either of which is a much easier fix than a head gasket. Best to clean the area thoroughly, then watch closely to see the oil's origin. If it is the head gasket, I've had good luck helping small leaks with "re-torquing". Take off the valve cover (since some of the head bolts are under there), then give each head bolt a quarter turn loose and a half turn tight, starting from the inside and going out in a criss-cross pattern. Find a parts fiche diagram and make sure you hit all the various head bolts.

As for the sputtering thing -- yep, these bikes are very sensitive to their air intake. Gotta have that filter in place or it'll run like poop.
    Last edited by Guest; 07-03-2007, 04:52 PM.

Comment

That may be the best $50.00 you'll ever spend!! Now, source a new / used tank and you'll be in business! \\/

Comment

I cleaned the area thoroughly and let the bike run afterward and watched closely. It is leaking from the head gasket. I was wondering if using a thicker oil, such asd 15w 50 my slow the leaking. As far as the tank, I have a friend that does body and paint work. He's going to pull as much of the dent out as he can and fill the remainder with fiberglass, then paint the tank and side covers. I plan on cleaning up all the other areas of the bike and hit parts of the frame that is a little rusty with some black paint. By the time i'm done i'll have maybe $300 in it and it should look pretty good.

Comment

And I believe it's a GS 750T. What is the difference between the models. There's a T, an E, i'm not sure of the others...

Comment

Good deal

That's a great bike for only $50. I had to pay $900 for my 1983 from e-Bay. Mine is a GS750E, but because it has a different fairing on it, it becomes an ES. The E has the handlebar mounted fairing and turns with the steeing. The ES has a frame mounted fairing and does not turn with the steering. I don't know what the T model difference is. Hope that helps.

I would go with trying to tighten the head bolts a little before changing the head gasket.

Comment

Yeah, thats a T model. The T's were a middle ground bike between the E and L. The L had a step seat, ape hanger bars, and a leading edge front axle. The E was a more sporty model, with a flatter seat. The T was made to look like a classic bike like a Triumph. Drum rear brakes, single caliper in front. More chrome. The 750T was only made in 82 and 83. Here is some pics of my 82. BTW nice score.

Comment

I'm definitely glad that I picked it up. My friend was going to take the motor and put it on a chopper frame. I just thought that was plain wrong and saved it.

Comment

When you say missing the air filter, do you mean just the paper element or the whole airbox that fits over the battery? I would not run it without a filter. These carbs will not work properly without the two airboxes and filter without severe rejetting. I found that out when I first got mine and it wouldn't rev over 4500 rpms. Also, before replacing the stator and rectifier/regulator, clean up all of the connections on the bike. Some of my connectors had major meltdown due to high resistance in dirty bullet connectors. I've got a little leak on mine also, but i'm waiting until winter to fix it. If you do pull the head make sure you are careful removing the exhaust bolts. The PO of mine left me with a mess of broken bolts and one goobered off center hole.

Comment

good Call...

Comment

Yes, mine is missing the filter and the box that fits over the battery. I found one for sale on this site. Just waiting for him to get back to me.

Comment

Working...
                      X