Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chain Noise

Hi all!

My GS1100ez has started making a nasty noise from the back end. It very much sounds like the chain is hitting something as i ride along, but when i put the bike up on the stand and run the engine in gear the chain is clearly not touching anything. I have had a recent (700 miles) 530 chain and sprocket conversion and when it was done there was no noise at all. I have taken off the sprocket cover and chainguard and run the motor - the nasty clank/bang noise still occurs and yet I can see for myself the chain is not hitting anything.
    I have tried just turning the wheel by hand and the noise still happens, yet it's not in any one particular area of the chain as i have marked the chain when it happens and yet when i run the wheel round it doesn't necassarily happen again at the same spot.
    I think this rules out tight spots etc. The chain is properly tensioned and aligned. The only thing i can think of is a worn wheel bearing which maybe is breaking up and making noise?

Help!!!

I hope you got a premium chain. As you have figured, you need to take it apart. Check the wheel bearings & check all of the chain links by hand when the wheel is off... Broken chains can be a major disaster don't ride it until you get it fixed

Comment

I had the same problem with My 82 EZ

My chain was stretched in just one place. It was hard to replicate on the stand.
      Got a new chain and sprockets and the problem/noise went away.

Comment

A couple of things come to mind.....If your 1100 is similar to my GS1000, there's a rear sprocket centering bearing that can get bad and causes the sprocket to cock which will cause the chain to ride up the side of a tooth and jump. By the same token, check your swing arm for side play as this will also cause a similar situation - both of the above will fool you as you'll adjust the chain and align to your best ability and then, under torque or during a jounce or rebound the noise will occur. This assumes that the chain doesn't have one or more bound links, isn't worn badly (which changes the pitch effectively) and that both sprockets are likewise good. Make sure the front sprocket is secure as well........especially considering the conversion!

Comment

Originally posted by SPARKSS View Post
          A couple of things come to mind.....If your 1100 is similar to my GS1000, there's a rear sprocket centering bearing that can get bad and causes the sprocket to cock which will cause the chain to ride up the side of a tooth and jump. By the same token, check your swing arm for side play as this will also cause a similar situation - both of the above will fool you as you'll adjust the chain and align to your best ability and then, under torque or during a jounce or rebound the noise will occur. This assumes that the chain doesn't have one or more bound links, isn't worn badly (which changes the pitch effectively) and that both sprockets are likewise good. Make sure the front sprocket is secure as well........especially considering the conversion!
          This sounds VERY plausible - I was guessing a bad bearing. Will check it out when my shifts are over and let y'all know!

Comment

Have you cleaned and lubed it recently. If you've ridden it in any wet weather, the chain can quickly get dirty and bind. Suzuki's site actually suggests checking, cleaning, and lubing the chain every 100 miles. For cleaning, it suggests using kerosene. I also use Maxima Chain Wax.

Brad bt

Comment

Well the bearings have been replaced and the noise has gone. The middle one was totally ovalled

Comment

Working...
              X