GS700 tank sizes?? What you got?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS700 tank sizes?? What you got?

Upon consultation with my Suzuki shop manual, it says 5.2 US gallons or 3.8 US gallons for California models (reserve is 4.2 US quarts for both). Can anyone confirm these 5.2 gallon tanks exist? If so, I *must* have one... That'd be such a huge improvement!

Alirght, folks, that size are your 700 tanks? Mine seems to be the 3.8 gal variety.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2007, 02:01 PM.

The most I have ever been able to squeeze into the tank of my '85 is about 4.2gal US. But usually 4 is the most I can count on - and that is when I sputter to a stop at the gas station dead nutz empty.

Comment

T3 my manual says 4.3 US gallons on the 700, I will confirm this as I ran it dry and then filled it up once...I got 4.25 gallons in.....all the reviews i have on the bike also say 4.3.....
      See you on the 16th.....oh wait your still up in the air on that ride..... :roll:

Comment

Weird. So apparently the Suzuki manual is full of crap. It says in two separate places 3.8 or 5.2. What kind of manual do you have, Kevin?

Comment

Ahh. The manual actually says "5.2/4.3 US/Imp". I figured US was the one to go by. I gues Imperial is. To further confuse things, it also says 17.5 L, which converts to 4.6 gal. Suzuki is confused!

Comment

The one I bought at suzuki when my best friend was there main tech....T3 I forgot to tell you...how they wrote this your manual looks like this 17.5l(5.2/4.3US/Imp gal} correct ? This is how you read the maual, due to bad translation..
            17.5L (4.3 US/5.2Imp) I know that the missed on the Imp gallons as it was in the service bulletin to put in your manual.
            I have tried to find the old bulletins for this manual again, as I only kept a few....DummIE ME....
            Last edited by Guest; 09-01-2007, 10:42 PM.

Comment

Japanese to English translations are notoriously bad. I work with a guy that used to have to translate the translations for a tool company that bought a lot of oriental made stuff. He has some hillarious literature and stories from those days.

BTW, my official Suzuki manual I bought when I bought the bike new in '86 says 5.15 US gal for the original 1983 GS750, but the 1985 addendum specifically for the 700 says 4.3 US gal, except for the California model which only has a 3.2 US gal capacity. Here's the funny part, both year models show the same 19.5L capacity, and yet the capacity in US gals is different - somebody OBVIOUSLY wasn't paying attention when writing these.
              Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2007, 12:52 AM.

Comment

OK, I did a little research on the conversion between liters, imperial gallons, & US gallons. It appears that the translation is correct, converting liters to either gallon measurements. However, the original 19.5 liter figure HAS to be incorrect. The only way I can get 5 gallons on this bike is to fill the tank and then set a full 1 gallon gas can on top of the tank.

Based on what I've experienced on fillups for the past 21 years, I'd say my tank translates to 15L, 4 US gal, or 3.33 Imp gal.

The good news from the manual is that their spec for the reserve load is dead on. The 4L or 4.2 US quart is within .1 quart of what I've seen over the years.

Comment

Alright, thanks Mark.

Back to the drawing board... ;-)

Comment

Working...
                  X