Help..Installing new drive chain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help..Installing new drive chain

It is time to replace the original drive chain on my 82 GS1100E. My new chain should arrive Wednesday. I see that there is no master link on the OEM chain that is on my bike, so I assume I need to cut it off. I also assume that the new EK O-Ring chain I have comming, will come with a master link. Is this correct?
    I could use any advise you good folks can give on removal and installation of the old and new chain.

Thanks,

Personally, figuring that I'd probably be riding for a long time, I bought a large chain breaker tool which sure simplifies removal or changing the length of chains. You could grind the old one off with a portable grinder - trying to cut one with a hacksaw may be something you'll regret for a long time. I've installed rivited chains and master-linked chains and have seen no detriment to either but the masterlinked one will always be easier to work with and I'd recommend it..........take care and install the link clip with the closed end pointing in the direction of chain travel (just on the slight chance that something may rub it while in motion).

I wouldn't assume your new chain is assembled either way......check the description.

I'll offer from experience, that many times, once the chain is worn, it's time to check your sprockets for excess wear......putting a new chain on new sprockets gives the best life from both.
    Last edited by Guest; 09-04-2007, 10:57 AM.

Comment

If it's an OEM chain, then it does not have a master link. You have two options:
      1) Remove the rear tire and the rear swingarm to get the old chain out or
      2) As Sparkss said, cut it out with a dremel tool or get your hands on a chain breaker.

I'll also recommend getting new sprockets with a new chain - it's worth it in the long run.

I'm pretty cinfident your new chain will come with a master link - just about all after market chains come that way, & EK is definitely a reputable company to go with in that regard.

Comment

Thanks,

I do have a air Cutter so I should not have any trouble cutting off the old chain. I checked with EK's website and it seems that most all there chains come with a master link and not as a complete chain. I hope this will be a simple process.
        The bike has only 10,000 miles on it and the sprockets look new, so I did not go with new ones.

Thank

Comment

Nothing to worry about. Pretty cut and dry. Just put the clip facing the right direction as SPARKSS states.
          1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
          1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
          X