Wiring Diagram

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring Diagram

Does anyone have a wiring diagram for a 1986 GS550ES? I am in the process of rebuilding one and I have two black/white wires and one yellow/black wire going to the fuel sending unit (under the tank). The two black/white wires are tied together and one was destroyed. The insulation is pretty much melted away and bare wire is showing. The worst part of the damage is close to the sending unit, leading me to believe something is wrong with it. My biggest concern is why are there two black/white wires together. I think there should only be one. I checked with a meter and they are tied (somewhere in that mess of wires) to the negative on the battery. I cut the tape from the wiring harness and everything appears to be factory. ](*,)

Now what!!

Well, I called a local shop and they sent me a wiring diagram. I replaced the bad wires and ohm'd out with a meter. I am getting .2 to .4 ohms from all the connections I made to frame ground. I put fuel in it and my new sending unit is working properly, it read about 1/4 tank with a little over a gallon in it. Now it will not start. This was a running bike before I started. It was not running great, but it ran (with a different tank). I have good spark, and the carb bowls are full of gas. Anyone have any ideas or suggestions?

1986 GS550ESG

I also tried to upload the wiring diagram in case anyone else needs it, but the .pdf is too big. If someone knows how to shrink or save as a different file let me know.

Comment

Not certain, but sounds like you figured out that black/white is a ground wire - should be about zero ohms to ground/frame/negitive.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Yes a dead short should read zero ohms, but because of the resistance in the leads / meter I am using is why I read .2 to .4 ohms. If I tap the two leads on my meter together I read the same thing.

Comment

Finally!!

I got my bike going!! It seemed like it wanted to start but it was starved for fuel so I pulled the fuel line off and sure enough there was a blockage. Must have come from the petcock because I rinsed the tank good before I put the bike back together, but I neglected to clean the petcock. I replaced the fuel line with clear so I can see if there is any fuel flowing, drained the bowls, put fresh gas in, drained the bowls again, and fully operational battle stations!!\\/ I will post some pics as soon as I can.
          Thanks for all the help.

Comment

Working...
          X