No announcement yet.

Offset Front Sprocket Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check out this interesting write up on offset sprockets with helpful tips and suggestions. They also mention AFAM offset sprockets too! :-D

Here you can find out how I turned an old and stock motorcycle into something that can easily keep up with modern plastic and that also looks good too!

Comment

Glad you got that sorted mate, it looks spot on from the pics :-D

Comment

Good info, im doing the same mod (Bandit Swinger and 5.5 rim-180 tire)

is this the sprocket you ordered?

We are sorry, but this page cannot be found. If you have any questions or can't find what you are looking for, please contact us .

Comment

Yup, that looks like the same one! It is available in several sizes. I went with the 13mm offset 17 tooth sprocket made for a 530 chain.
          Part number was: 25003-17T

Here are a few more resouces for the AFAM 13mm offset sprocket:

http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/p/359...---suzuki.html

Originally posted by Astroman View Post
          Good info, im doing the same mod (Bandit Swinger and 5.5 rim-180 tire)

is this the sprocket you ordered?

http://www.sprocketcenter.com/p/3587...---suzuki.html
          Last edited by Guest; 07-28-2008, 01:27 AM.

Comment

how'd this set up hold up for you? what size rear sprocket did u run? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by wesmoon View Post
              how'd this set up hold up for you? what size rear sprocket did u run? thanks
              Wesmoon, So far I have not had any problems with the chain and sprocket combination. I went with a 530 (JTR816 series) 47T Rear Sprocket.

Check out the link below with more details on my bike upgrade.
              Place your GS performance, tuning or mods related questions in this forum.

Comment

Originally posted by kichigai View Post
                Wesmoon, So far I have not had any problems with the chain and sprocket combination. I went with a 530 (JTR816 series) 47T Rear Sprocket.

Check out the link below with more details on my bike upgrade.
                http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=118949
                Kichigai thanks again for going through all that detail with pics and descriptions. I went through the whole thing again today.

Did you ever source a 4:2:1?

Jim

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  Kichigai thanks again for going through all that detail with pics and descriptions. I went through the whole thing again today.

Did you ever source a 4:2:1?

Jim
                  I sure did! I ended up picking up a clean 1985 GS1150 stock dual walled Sankei exhaust and graphed in a 2007 GSXR 1000 dual mufflers! It turned out looking and sounding good while resolving my ground clearance issue! You will see a write up on it soon!

Comment

Originally posted by kichigai View Post
                    I sure did! I ended up picking up a clean 1985 GS1150 stock dual walled Sankei exhaust and graphed in a 2007 GSXR 1000 dual mufflers! It turned out looking and sounding good while resolving my ground clearance issue! You will see a write up on it soon!
                    Looking forward to seeing what you did. How much ground clearance you gained as well.

Comment

lots of great info!! thank you for such a detailed write up. i am in the process of installing a 5.5" rim with 180 tire, but using a bandit rim. do u know if the center of the wheel dimensions are the same as a gsxr rim so i can use the same offset sprocket you used? also, would it be better to use a sprocket carrier off a gsxr? thank you for any help you can offer me.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbill808 View Post
                        lots of great info!! thank you for such a detailed write up. i am in the process of installing a 5.5" rim with 180 tire, but using a bandit rim. do u know if the center of the wheel dimensions are the same as a gsxr rim so i can use the same offset sprocket you used? also, would it be better to use a sprocket carrier off a gsxr? thank you for any help you can offer me.
                        There is an other thread here doing GSXR 17x5.5", Bandit arm. Use the GS sprocket carrier and 0.650" sprocket side spacer with 5/8" offset countersprocket.

you will probably want a 520 chain ; ask Katman for a recommendation on current chains gears for fit.
                        Last edited by posplayr; 02-25-2011, 08:11 AM.

Comment

ok great. thank you for the info. much appreciated!!!

Comment

swapped out bandit sprocket carrier for the '79 carrier and used the spacer that was on the GS and it almost lined up perfect.... should only need a 13mm offset front sprocket, ordering one this weekend. also does anyone happen to know what link chain i will need using a 530 with 17 tooth front and 43 tooth rear with a 3 inch extended swing arm? thank you for any help you can give me.

Comment

Originally posted by bigbill808 View Post
                              swapped out bandit sprocket carrier for the '79 carrier and used the spacer that was on the GS and it almost lined up perfect.... should only need a 13mm offset front sprocket, ordering one this weekend. also does anyone happen to know what link chain i will need using a 530 with 17 tooth front and 43 tooth rear with a 3 inch extended swing arm? thank you for any help you can give me.
                              You need to get the wheel in the center of the bike before trying to align the chain. The 0.65" sprocket side spacer is required for that. You can them measure the required countersprocket offset.

Comment

ok, thank you for the info. i will definitely make sure tire is center before measuring for front sprocket.

Comment

Working...
                                X