Oil Light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil Light

The oil pressure warning light...when does it come on? When oil pressure is critically, dangerously low? Or when it's just kinda low?

It won't go off on my bike and I'm trying to figure out, in the absence of a multimeter or any other tools, if it's just the light or an actual oil pressure issue. I mean I let run for a few and it sounds OK...surely I would hear the top end get loud wouldn't I?

Thanks in advance,

Commodus.

I think it's a pressure switch that opens a ground when there is oil pressure. DON"T run the bike until you find out what's going on. The switch is located on most models dead center on top of the cases right behind the cylinders.

Comment

Well the engine here is a 82 750, so the switch is on the front of the engine incorporated into the oil filtre cover.

Comment

There's a reply in the other thread where you posted this problem Commodus. And the pressure switch grounds the oil pressure light, ie when pressure builds resistance increases, the path to ground is cut and the light goes out.

Comment

Hahaha, yes, I am aware of the conventional method. What I am asking here is how to do so without a multimeter.

I don't have a multimeter. Maybe I'll just go buy one, they're not expensive...

Comment

Originally posted by Commodus View Post
            Hahaha, yes, I am aware of the conventional method. What I am asking here is how to do so without a multimeter.

I don't have a multimeter. Maybe I'll just go buy one, they're not expensive...
            Alot less expensive than a new motor. One guy here didn't pay attention to his oil light on an almost new zrx if I remember right and burned up the motor.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks View Post
              Alot less expensive than a new motor. One guy here didn't pay attention to his oil light on an almost new zrx if I remember right and burned up the motor.
              So, heh, I'll take that as a, "no, I do not know at which point the oil light comes on."

lol.

Comment

So, heh, I'll take that as a, "no, I do not know at which point the oil light comes on."

lol.
                Let me break out the service manual and see what it has to say. I'm not sure at what point it comes on but I'll let you know in a few minutes.

Comment

Looks like a continuity thing. The manual just states no continuity with the engine off and continuity with it running, no graduated scale like you would have with a temp or fuel gauge. You might try removing the switch and cleaning it up to see if it corrects the problem.

Comment

When you start the bike, you should see your oil go down in the sight glass as the pump starts the oil flowing.

A quick check would be to remove your oil gallery bolt (below the ignition cover on your bike, I think) and start the motor briefly. Oil should shoot out all over your garage (ask me how I know)

If I'mnot mistaken, your bike has a plain crank motor, which means you should be running high pressure.... 40-80 psi? I'm not sure at what point the gauge should light on your bike....maybe 10-20 psi? I know on the roller crank motors which run 2-8 psi, the switch is supposed to come on at .5 psi or less.

Get or borrow that multi-meter! Then buy an oil pressure gauge from me and you won't have to wonder any more.8-[
                    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
                    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

a) you guys are brilliant. I love this forum.

b) does your oil gauge work on the 750s? I'm running a 1982 R series 750 motor. From a Katana. Sorry if you're already answered that question a million times on this forum. 8-[

Comment

Hey bruce, im interested in an oil pressure gauge...dumb question...how and where to hook it up?? Keep in mind my bike no longer has the stock gauges, dunno if that makes a huge difference or not...But it would be nice to have one for sure...

Comment

a) you guys are brilliant. I love this forum.

b) does your oil gauge work on the 750s? I'm running a 1982 R series 750 motor. From a Katana. Sorry if you're already answered that question a million times on this forum. 8-[
                          '80 and later 750's are plain crank, high pressure motors. There's a big bolt under the ignition cover on the side of the case. You take that out and install some fittings and it will look like this:

Or you can remove a bolt from the cylinder head and install it there:

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                          Hey bruce, im interested in an oil pressure gauge...dumb question...how and where to hook it up?? Keep in mind my bike no longer has the stock gauges, dunno if that makes a huge difference or not...But it would be nice to have one for sure...
                          The set-up for low pressure, roller bearing motors (all GS motors but the 750's above) looks like the lower black one in the above pic, or like this:

Last edited by renobruce; 10-16-2007, 12:28 AM.
                          85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

oops. That last one is kinda b i g! Here's another

Last edited by renobruce; 10-16-2007, 12:20 AM.
                            85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Commodus,

Another quick check you can do: disconnect the wire from the switch and let it dangle without touching metal. Turn on your ignition. If your oil light is still on, the wire is grounding out somewhere. If it is not on, you have a problem with the switch or oil flow.
                              85 GS1150E May '06 BOM

Comment

Working...
                              X