R/R problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R/R problem?

I picked up a 81 GS850 the other day, great bike! Of course, I have charging problems.

I went through all the tests in "the stator papers". Stator checks out good. - IIRC, 76 V from each winding, no shorts, no opens.

I get 20V at the battery. I bought a new R/R, installed it, using the ground wire direct to the neg battery terminal.

Still get 20V at the battery. The R/R checks out in all the diode tests, so I must be missing something, but what?

Thanks for any help you can give me............

No one wants to insult your intelligence but do you know how to read your meter ? Is it set to AC for the stator and DC for the battery ? Just checking.....

OK, is the battery any good ? Is the connector from the R/R good ?
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

The r/r is a combination unit. It is a rectifier and a regulator. The diode checks will only test the rectifier section. If you are still getting 20 volts at the battery, it is apparent that the regulator section is fried. You need another r/r.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

you need a new r/r

i've had a few that read the correct amount of ohms, yet are still faulty..

get a honda one
        1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Thanks, and no insult taken. (although if I did have the meter set wrong, I wouldn't have gotten the right readings at all ;-))

I figured it was the regulator section, but what are the odds of getting a bad one from the store? I did send an email to the store www.regulatorrectifier.com

If it's bad, I expect a replacement..but, knowing stores and manufacturers, I'm sure they will say I probably fried it. I guess I'll hear from them tomorrow...

Comment

Working...
          X