Compression Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Compression Testing

Anyone come up with a setup to test compression short of a $100 Motion Pro kit?

Here's one on Ebay. They have much cheaper ones there as well. Just a start.

This may be the same tester on another site with excellent service:

Scroll down to find it.

Comment

Just remember when you do get around to actually measuring your compression, to do it with a warmed-up engine and hold the throttle wide open.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I got mine for $29 at Pep Boys.
        Currently bikeless
        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Originally posted by mark View Post
          This may be the same tester on another site with excellent service:

Scroll down to find it.
          That site has a pretty good selection of metric, motorcycle-specific tools. I'm going to be placing an order with them. Thanks for the link.
          sigpic

SUZUKI:
          1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
          HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
          KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
          YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
            Just remember when you do get around to actually measuring your compression, to do it with a warmed-up engine and hold the throttle wide open.

Turn the motor off first.

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
              Turn the motor off first.
              [-X#-o...........
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Got mine for $15 from Harbor Freight

My only complaint is that the fitting lip is round and smooth and thin, which means if gets stuck at all (misthreaded, over tightened), you can't use a wrench to loosen it, in fact, really hard to find anything that will grab at it to get it out. Ask me how I know... Did eventually get it out after engine cooled off a bit so it wasn't a big deal.

Comment

I, too, got mine from Harbor Freight but it didn't have the right adapter to screw into the spark plug hole. Seems like a nice enough unit (for my purposes, anyway).

Comment

Working...
                  X