1983 GSX 1100 ED Gear Indicator Problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GSX 1100 ED Gear Indicator Problems

Hi, I have a 1983 GSX 1100 ED (50,000 km / 30,000 miles) which we,ve had apart recently chasing a noise and when we put it back together i've got this problem with the gear indicator display. When in Neutral it displayes 2, and the neutral indicator light is on. When selecting 1st it displayes 3, when selecting 2nd it displayed 2, when selecting 3rd it displayed 3, and the in 4th it displayes 6 and in 5th it displayes 7. When i disconnect the sender from the instrument panel under the tank with the ignition on it still displayes 2. Any ideas? Your help would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-07-2007, 04:53 AM.

Sounds like the display is in trouble.

The system is quiet simple. You have a black round plate with two small ends with holes in which is screwed to the crankcases. This can be found when you remove the sprocket cover. There's one cable which is joined to the diplay cable under the tank. The display unit is in the instrument cluster from where it receives its power.

Take the sprocket cover off. Remove the plate (watch out for a spring and small ball bearing,) clean the contacts that are on the back side and check that they are not worn through. There is also an 'O' ring seal there also.
    then check the connector under the tank for corrosion.
    After that its into the instrument cluster.

If either bit is faulty I am not sure as to replacement parts avaliablity. I've sources some spares for these via e**y.

Suzuki mad

Comment

What parts have you had apart, If it was ok before you worked on it, you would think something didn't go back together exactly right.
      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

thankyou for your replys. It was working ok before we took it apart so i will retrace the wiring and also look at the sender.

Comment

Working...
        X