Valve adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Valve adjustment

i was about to do my valve adjustment when i read in the book that the tool is a different number than the one i got. i got MP 08-0017 and the book calls for a completely different number. i got the wrong tool or is there more than one?

I have no idea what the proper part number is, but it is a blade about 5-6 inches long, with a U-shaped piece on the end. If you go to BassCliff's website, download the valve adjust pdf, look on page 13, you will see the tool in action. Not a real good shot of the tool, but does show how it's used.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

lol i know what the tool should look like. i have a vavle adjuster tool but the part number is different from the repair manual's part number

Comment

Originally posted by NelanCustoms View Post
        i was about to do my valve adjustment when i read in the book that the tool is a different number than the one i got. i got MP 08-0017 and the book calls for a completely different number. i got the wrong tool or is there more than one?
        I know there are a couple of different manufacturers around that may have different part numbers. Yours is most probably a Motion Pro made one, see who sells them and compare the numbers.
        I was looking for one, but just not worth the expense to ship all the way to the RSA and will try the cable tie method first.

Comment

The part no in the manual is SUZUKI's adjustment too. The one you have should work if it fits. Just make sure that your tool is only pressing down on the tappet and not the shim. There is another way to do it that Steve taught me if that tool ends up not working and youwant to know.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            There is another way to do it that Steve taught me if that tool ends up not working and youwant to know.
            Let me know how, as i cannot get a valve adjusting tool here - thanks!

Comment

Well you have to be careful that you dont make the cam skip a tooth, and you'll likely need a helper, but if you losen the cam caps and lift them all the way up (up not out) you can have someone pick up the cam with a flat head screwdriver high enough for you to get the shim out. Steve and i used this method on his tutorial of a GS adjustment here, and it worked well, and actually seemed to work better than the tool itself on a couple of the tappets near the cam tower that the tool didnt seem to want to grab. As i said just be mind full that the cam doesnt rotate, tho it shouldnt with that lil bit of torque on it.

Comment

i've got a couple of slightly different tools but they work equally well
                btw, on my 850 the camshaft has different diameters next to different lobes so the tool doesn't fit equally well to all the valves, but does the job anyhow
                GS850GT

Comment

Thanks for the info, I was thinking about that method, but did not know if it would work. Is Steve's tutorial posted somewhere?
                  Thanks again

Comment

BTW you use the flathead as a lever, you dont actually try to pick the cam up with the screwdriver...just cock it up to lever the cam up enough to get access to the shim...didnt seem to make that clear enough. Made sense to me but Ive done it...lol

Comment

not that im aware of. He actually was here and showed me..lol

Comment

Originally posted by Matchless View Post
                        Let me know how, as i cannot get a valve adjusting tool here - thanks!
                        you can also use a flathead screwdriver to lever the valve follower - pressing the screwdriver against the camshaft (very much like with the special tool) and then use a magnet to get the shim out (you might need to pry it out with a small flathead first)
                        it's a one-man job, and faster than undoing all the camshaft bolts
                        GS850GT

Comment

That would prolly work too, the only thing to watch there is that the flathead doesnt gouge the tappet at all. Might even work better! Good call psy

Comment

I recall somewhere seeing a caution against using a magnet on the shims, possibly magnetizing them as they could then attract metal filings???

Has anyone used the cable tie method on a GS? Pushing a folded cable tie through the plughole and under the valve when fully open, then turning the engine and removing the shim. I recall a howto with pictures somewhere on another site. The author even claimed that it was quite quick and safe to do.
                            Edit: found it -http://www.imrisk.com/yamaha/xjwiretie.htm
                            Last edited by Guest; 12-09-2007, 03:54 PM.

Comment

i can guarantee you this method is alot less of a PITA than that one...lol I have NO patience for fishing things into places they werent meant to go..lol I also remember now that you mention it Steve saying to never use a magnet on your shims for that very reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X