Pilot jet plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pilot jet plug

Hi could anyone tell me what function the pilot jet plug has on my GS1000G. I have had my carbs apart for cleaning and there are no rubber plugs over the pilot jets. thanks mel

Certain models of CV carbs have a rubber cap in the tube where the pilot jet is mounted. Those carbs also have a passage to the main jet tube and draw the fuel for the pilot mixture via the main jet from the float bowl.
    It seems that for later models a more direct feed was devised where the cap was left out and the fuel directly picked up from the float bowl and the above passage was left out.
    My 1980 BS34SS have the rubber caps fitted, not sure from which year and type they were left out, but check if you have a cross passage or not.
    Last edited by Guest; 12-17-2007, 08:04 AM.

Comment

My '82 650L and '82 850L both have the rubber caps.

Like Matchless said, on models equipped with the plugs, they are necessary. If you remove them, the pilot jets are free to draw fuel directly from the float bowl, instead of through the main jet. HOWEVER...that fuel passage will let fuel go either way, so the rest of the carb can also draw fuel directly from the bowl, bypassing the main jet. I am of the opinion that is not very good. 8-[

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

What year is the 1000G?
        1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
        1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Working...
        X