Will Later Model Disc Fit Gs550b

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will Later Model Disc Fit Gs550b

Does anyone know if the slotted disc rotor off the 1985 GS550ES will fit on my GS550B (1977). I am pretty sure it will bolt onto the front hub, the bolt spacings seem to be the same. But I have been told that the '85 model disc is only 10 inches, whereas the one off the '77 model is 11.5 inches I think. If I was to purchase and fit the smaller rotor would the pads line up or would the whole thing be a stuff up.
    Hope someone can help.

Cheers
    Don

Don i was looking for the same info in regards to a 750B...i dont think i ever got an answer short of swapping the whole front end assembly. The later 750s used a square padded caliper, dunno if the later 550s did. I dont think it would work if thats the case as the newer calipers are clearly longer than the old ones.

Comment

The front rim is off my 1985 GS550ES parts bike, so I can take any photos and make any measurements you want tonight.

Comment

Hi there. Yes Cafe the later 550s did have the square brake pads and opposed pistons as well. From what I can work out the slotted discs off the later models were only 10" in diameter, whereas ours are 11.5". Dont want buy them from the States and find they wont work. Freight to Australia is not cheap.
        Thanks for the input. You never know there maybe someone out there that notices this and can give us some guidance. All I want to do is stay upright in the wet and hoping slotted discs will help with that.

Cheers
        Don

Comment

If ya do find they work, i have a set here in decent shape, might save ya some money vs an ebay deal or what not...let me know, as i have no use for them. Hell, if ya really wanted to go that route, i have a whole front end to unload..lol From a 80 750, dunno if the fork legs are longer, and the rake and trail is a bit different.

Comment

Originally posted by p_s View Post
            The front rim is off my 1985 GS550ES parts bike, so I can take any photos and make any measurements you want tonight.
            I'm confused. What front rim. Do you mean the one on Ebay. Anyway can you measure the disc rotor diameter. Is it 10" or 11.5". Are the bolt holes 1 1/2" apart and do they measure 3" between holes that are opposite each other. Do you have parts for sale, i.e. one rotor.

Cheers
            Don

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
              If ya do find they work, i have a set here in decent shape, might save ya some money vs an ebay deal or what not...let me know, as i have no use for them. Hell, if ya really wanted to go that route, i have a whole front end to unload..lol From a 80 750, dunno if the fork legs are longer, and the rake and trail is a bit different.
              What are you using on the front of yours at the present time. Is it standard or something different.

Cheers
              Don

Comment

Originally posted by Suzuki_Don View Post
                I'm confused. What front rim. Do you mean the one on Ebay. Anyway can you measure the disc rotor diameter. Is it 10" or 11.5". Are the bolt holes 1 1/2" apart and do they measure 3" between holes that are opposite each other. Do you have parts for sale, i.e. one rotor.
                Sorry, I meant I took off the whole front wheel from my parts bike, so I can easily take any measurements you need. I'll post here with photos and measurements later. I can sell you a rotor cheap but it is not perfect--a little scoring--but quite usable. Shipping shouldn't be that bad I imagine. You can look it up on usps.com.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  What is the diameter if the rotors that you have (not the ones on your bike, the slotted spares).

Don

Comment

OK. Thanks P_S. Look forward to measurements and photos.

P.S. Can you check on the weight for me. I guess I will need that to work out the freight cost with USPS.

Cheers
                    Don

Comment

10" in diameter, braking surface is 1 3/4" wide, a band along the inner circumference of the surface isn't used, as you can see in the pic.
                      1 1/2" between mounting holes. 5 mm thick. It's actually in very good condition, better than just usable. I forgot to check the distance between opposite holes--I can check again if you want it--but if you have 6 points 1 1/2" apart there is only one possibility.

Unfortunately it's just under 3 3/4 lbs (first time I've used my postal scale for its intended purpose) and at 4 lbs 1 oz the price goes up to $36 because you have to use a different class of mail. I'm not sure I could package it up in bubble wrap and cardboard in under 5 oz. There is an automated machine at the post office where I could cheat on the scale and it would probably be fine ... but you never know. I checked the commercial carriers and they are all over $100. Although maybe all you can get for 36 USD in Aussie dollars is a jar of vegemite and a flat white so maybe it's no big deal \\/

I can't sell you any parts from my parts bike because it came with the bike I practically stole from another forum member, but I'd ship it for a $20 donation to some charity (plus shipping).

Comment

OK. Thanks Paul. The picture is great and all the measurements and info is perfect. I will be in touch via email. I'll talk to you soon.

Don

Comment

Working...
                        X