Cam Chain tensioner question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cam Chain tensioner question

So I picked up this new to me motor for my bike. One of the first things i noticed was how very very clean it was around the tensioner...which my old motor was not, probably bad gasket there. However another thing i noticed was that i couldnt turn the adjuster knob...No i didnt TRY to turn it, but my old motors would turn counter clockwise easily, not far but it did turn and then sprung back. Should it turn like that at all? Also keep in mind that on my old motor there seemed to be a bit of chatter coming from that area... I was just wondering if it being able to turn was normal, seeing as the other didnt. I have ordered a new tensionor from ebay, and will replace it, but just wanted some info...thanks!!

Josh

You have to loosen the locknut and the spring will tighten. Then tighten the nut back up.

Comment

There is no adjuster knob on an automatic cam chain tensioner. The knurled knob is NOT for adjustment and should not be turned by hand.

Earl
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        There is no adjuster knob on an automatic cam chain tensioner. The knurled knob is NOT for adjustment and should not be turned by hand.

Earl
        Ok well i know it shouldnt be turned. However the fact remains, that the one on the old motor turned...obviously, it shouldnt based on your answer correct?

Comment

I had excatly the problem that you had. When I took it apart the ball that sits in the socket of the piece that connects to the knob had worn a small indentation on the sloping part of the adjuster shaft. It would "stick" a bit....wouldn't release easily.

Personally, I don't think its that big of a deal, as long as your knob is set correctly and you install the tensioner properly. But I used another adjuster shaft that didn't have the indentation when I rebuilt it again.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
            I was just wondering if it being able to turn was normal
            So far I dont think you have got a yes or no answer to your question. Mine turns a little clockwise and then springs back. So we ask again.... is this normal ?
            82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Normally, the knurled knob should release and return easily. Some however "stick" a bit, I don't think its a big deal, as long as its installed correctly and the knob turns as your tensioner takes up the slack. I cured my sticky tensioner by putting in a new shaft and making sure that the ball and socket turned freely and was cleaned well.

Hope that makes some sense.
              Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2007, 01:01 AM.

Comment

complete info for CCT http://bwringer.com/gs/

Comment

Pretty good info there, still didnt quite answer my question however.

let me rephrase.
                  The tensioner on my old motor turned. It also, thru use of the screwdriver stethascope, seemed to be chattering a bit. Is the chattering most likely caused by the fact that it turned? IE it was out of adjustment?

Secondly, my new motor's tensioner does not turn (note: i didnt try real hard as i know its not something to toy with) Will this be a problem? Or is it the way its supposed to be?

Thanks!

Comment

Is the chattering most likely caused by the fact that it turned?
                    No its not. Also, the fact that your new tensioner sticks a bit is probably not a problem either. I messed with mine until the problem went away, but it was fine as it was, I'm sure.
                    Last edited by Guest; 12-22-2007, 02:19 AM.

Comment

The knurled knob should turn easily, if they don't, they should be disassembled & cleaned out so they will. Remember, the only time it should be turned is when the tensioner is removed & needs to be reset so it can be reinstalled. Hard to imagine a new one won't turn freely.
                      1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Originally posted by rphillips View Post
                        The knurled knob should turn easily, if they don't, they should be disassembled & cleaned out so they will. Remember, the only time it should be turned is when the tensioner is removed & needs to be reset so it can be reinstalled. Hard to imagine a new one won't turn freely.
                        Well it's not NEW new...its on a motor i purchased that has 22K on it. However, like i said i didnt TRY to turn it, my other just turns with very little effort.

Comment

They should turn with very little effort, & that little spring should make it snap right back.
                          1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

Well then i shall investigate. Thanks for the info all!

TCK

Comment

The knurled knob should be free to turn. BUT, the only time you should see it turn is after you have removed the cam chain tensioner from the bike and are resetting it for reinstallment. You push the shaft into the tensioner housing using your thumb. You will see the knurled knob turn as the spring is rewound. Then lock the shaft down holding the tensioner rod completely inside the tensioner housing. Install/bolt the tensioner on the engine. Then loosen the lock nut allowing the shaft to spring into contact with the cam chain. Back off the slotted shaft about 1/8 th 1/4 turn clear of engagement and then retighten the locknut to hold that clearance.

All you are doing when turning the knurled knob is stressing the spring opposite to its intended wind, which at best will accomplish nothing and at worst can destroy the tensioner.

yes, it should turn freely. You check that by removing the tensioner and pressing the plunger into the tensioner housing.
                              If it doesnt rewind/knob rotate and the plunger pop back out when you release your thumb, then the tensioner needs cleaning. Turning the knurled knob doesnt tell you anything because the tensioner can be completely frozen up and you will still be able to overpower the rewind spring.

Earl

Ok well i know it shouldnt be turned. However the fact remains, that the one on the old motor turned...obviously, it shouldnt based on your answer correct?
                              Last edited by earlfor; 12-22-2007, 09:02 PM.
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X