Upgrading my horn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Upgrading my horn

I'm switching over to a louder horn on my '83 1100G. I did a search for relay info on the GS Resources board and didn't find exactly what I was looking for. I need relay advice.
    Can someone tell me what kind of horn relay in particular you used and how did you wire it in? I went to the local auto parts place, hoping to get a relay off the shelf. Instead I had to request one for a specific model car. Whats a good cheap relay that'll work?
    Thanks!

Try a driving light relay, it's the same relay but it'll be in the lighting section of the store. I found one brand named blazer at the autozone. It also had 2 terminals for output so it's a little easier to wire. Try www.parts express.com part # 330-073 to get an idea what they look like.

bill

Comment

I also used the same relay to wire two auto horns under my fairing for my 'GK. I took the wire that originally went to the horn and hooked it to the relay, grounded the other terminal, and ran another wire directly from the battery to the relay, and out to the new horns. I also used an inline fuse (a must) to prevent 'smoke on the roadway' incidents. works great and I really get cars' attention. all for $8 worth of horns from a salvage yard, and a $3 relay. :twisted:

Comment

Be careful using the original horn wiring.
        On some bikes, the 1100G among them, the horns are always powered and the ground side is run thru the horn switch.
        The original wiring is ideal for controlling the relay, just remember it's a little different.

bill

Comment

A relay is essential.

Auto horns draw a fair amount of current.

The original horn wires on the bike are pathetically thin and there are also two or three splices ahead of them, inside the harness.

They will work the relay, but cannot handle the full amperage load of the auto horns, which will have to have a separate wire, connected to the fuse box or the battery, and with its own in-line fuse.

A simple trick you may try before changing the equipment is to loosen the lock-nut on the original horn, and then adjust it a bit to make the horn louder.
          "If you are going through hell.......keep going."
          Winston Churchill

Comment

I highly recommend using horns from a late model Cadillac, they are extremely loud!!
            specifically from a fleetwood or seville, check wrecking yards you may get lucky.

Comment

On my GK I have one automotive horn I bought at Pep Boys years ago. I also bought an automotive relay, one meant for a 1970's Dodge Dart or something like that. I mounted the relay where the left stock horn should be, and the one horn where the right stock horn should be.

This one-horn system works just fine, and is loud enough. I've replaced the relay just once.

Nick

Comment

Getting "horny"

Sorry, but I couldn't resist. Thanks alot for the advice. I'll do it this weekend.
                Al

Comment

I also need help wiring in my new horn.

The auto relay I used has 4-prongs. I got it from Radio Shack. Was that the wrong place to get one from?

12VDC/30A SPST Automotive Relay
                  ? Coil Rating: 12VDC, 160mA, 400Ω
                  ? Contacts and Ratings: SPST 30A at 12VDC
                  ? Size: 2x1-3/16x1-1/8"

I took a fused line...

and ran it from the battery to the + side of the automotive relay(#85). I remember plugging another wire into the relay after that from the wiring harness. (#86)
                  Then I ran two wires to the horn from the relay, but the horn still doesn't work.(#87, #30) :?

I can hear the relay click but its like the power isnt' leaving the relay and going to the horn. It's properly grounded to the frame at the mounting bolt so I don't see why it won't work. Does that "Chassis Ground #86" have to be wired to the battery negative or the frame? Cause I've got one of the two wires that ran to the original horn hooked up to it....

Please help,
                  Dm of mD

EDIT: Technical info on the relay.

30A Automotive Relay
                  (275-0226) Specifications Faxback Doc. # 38002

Contacts: .................................................. .. SPST / N.O.

Rating: .................................................. .. 30A at 12 VDC

Coil Rating: ..................................... 12 VDC, 160 mA, 66 Ohms

Pick up Voltage: ............................................... 7.8 Volts

Drop out Voltage: .............................................. 1.2 Volts

Operating Time: ....................... 10 milliseconds at nominal voltage

Release Time: ......................... 10 milliseconds at nominal voltage

Operating Temperature Range: ............ - 30 to + 85 degrees C at 60% RH

Dimensions: .................................... 2 x 1 3/16 x 1 1/8 Inches

Terminal Connections:

Terminal # 85: ................................................ +12 VDC

Terminal # 86: ......................................... Chassis Ground

Terminal # 87 & # 30: ................................... SPST Contacts

Specifications are typical; individual units might vary. Specifications are
                  subject to change and improvement without notice.

Comment

Argh, I don't understand this.

Apparently from the relay's instructions...

#85 is where the battery plugs into it with the fused line.(fuse is good, checked)

#86 is where the ground wire goes. (is this one of the two wires from the wiring harness that went to the original horn?)

#87 & #30 are the SPST contacts (IE the switch)
                    I'm guessing that the two wires from the wiring harness go here on these connectors?? I tried switching the two wires from the wiring harness around on the relay and the horn still won't work.

But if this is teh case then what do I run to the horn from the relay?

God this is confusing...

Dm of mD

Comment

Originally posted by focus frenzy
                      I highly recommend using horns from a late model Cadillac, they are extremely loud!!
                      specifically from a fleetwood or seville, check wrecking yards you may get lucky.
                      My grandfather used to have an MG Midget with a Mack truck horn. Scared the pants off anyone in its path, then they look back to find his tiny car. the effect would be even better on a bike, although i doubt the electrical system could handle it

Comment

Originally posted by Detman101
                        Argh, I don't understand this.

#85 is where the battery plugs into it with the fused line.(fuse is good, checked)

#86 is where the ground wire goes. (is this one of the two wires from the wiring harness that went to the original horn?)

#87 & #30 are the SPST contacts (IE the switch)
                        I'm guessing that the two wires from the wiring harness go here on these connectors?? I tried switching the two wires from the wiring harness around on the relay and the horn still won't work.

Dm of mD
                        Hello!

I think that you have made some wrong connections if you connect the +12V to the 85 and the ground wire to 86. This will make the relay active all the time.

Take a new wire (with fuse) from the battery + terminal and connect to the terminal 30 or 87. Then take the other terminal (30 or 87...the one that is not used) and connect to the + terminal on the horn. Then connect the other terminal on the horn to ground.

Then check out the old horn-wires and find out if one of them is 12V positive (when pushing the horn-button). (Remember to turn on the ignition )
                        If you find one, connect this wire to the terminal 85 on the relay, and ground the terminal 86.
                        Now the horn should work...

If you find no 12V + when you push the horn button your horn is grounded through the horn button. Then you have to connect 12V + to your terminal 85 on the relay (it should be switched by your ignition-switch), and then connect the terminal 86 to the wire that goes to the horn-button. 8)
                        I hope that you understand this. It would have been more easy to explain if I could draw here... 8)

GOOD LUCK!

Comment

THank you, I am going to try what you said.
                          I'll pick up some wire from the autozone down the road and some connectors too in case I have to run new wires.
                          I printed it out and I'll report in tomorrow.
                          Heading home in 10 minutes.

Dmof mD

Comment

If you want a relay that will last, go to your local auto parts store or speed shop and ask for a Bosch realy. The quality is superior and will take being in the elements much better than the cheaper relays.

Comment

I went to Discount and bought an air horn complete with a little bitty compressor and 2 air horns. I mounted to horns where the stock horns were and put the compressor where the tool kit was. It scares the crap out of people, i love it! If someone can tell me how to post a pic i can post pics of what it looks like and how the relay is wired.

Comment

Working...
                              X