Carbs and Valves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B Evil View Post
    Well I got all the valves checked and wrote down the shim sizes for next time but I wasn't able to get the feeler gauge in two of valves. Should I just go down a shim size and see if that does it or is there any way to figure out what size I need besides trial and error? Also, one of the valves measured right at .08 but the next size up on the feeler gauge was .10 so should I replace this shim also with one size up just to be safe? At least then, it'd be .03 and wouldn't have to worry about it possibly being .09 right?
    If you are using a .03mm feeler gauge and it won't insert then yes you'll probably have to go one size down, but I had to go 2 sizes down on 2 of my valves.
    I would leave the one you think is at .09mm alone.

Comment

On your valves that won't accept the .03 gauge, take a look at the thickness of the shim. Look at your other shims (you said you recorded all of them), see if you have a smaller one you can swap in there to check. Even if your next smaller shim is two sizes smaller, at least you will know whether you need to drop one or two shim sizes.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Working...
      X