78 gs400 throttle cable adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

78 gs400 throttle cable adjustment

I traded in the old monkey bars for some nice, flat drag bars a while back. I didn't have any trouble at first, and I love the riding position. Recently, I removed the handle grip to replace the rubber, and now I've got issues...well the bike does at least.

Everything is back together, but the throttle return is...well...sluggish. I don't have any kinks or binds, it just seems to not want to snap back. I've adjusted the throttle cables with only one cable...but this one has two.

If I disconnect the "return" cable, everything snaps back like it should.

What do I do to get my throttle to work properly now?

I had that problem on my gs400. Never did get it fixed before i tool the bike apart for the resto. I do remember that a bit of oil in the line helped it a bit. You might try some chain lube or some silicon spray lube. Hope that helps a little.
    Gearhead

Comment

Super simple. heheh Adjust a slight bit of slack into the return cable at the carb end. The problem is caused by the two cables not having EXACTLY the same travel when the throttle is opened. Putting about 1/8", or slightly less slack in the return cable solves that inequality and allows the throttle to return smoothly.

Earl

Originally posted by khardrunner14 View Post
      I traded in the old monkey bars for some nice, flat drag bars a while back. I didn't have any trouble at first, and I love the riding position. Recently, I removed the handle grip to replace the rubber, and now I've got issues...well the bike does at least.

Everything is back together, but the throttle return is...well...sluggish. I don't have any kinks or binds, it just seems to not want to snap back. I've adjusted the throttle cables with only one cable...but this one has two.

If I disconnect the "return" cable, everything snaps back like it should.

What do I do to get my throttle to work properly now?
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

This might sound dumb but....how do I do that? I have the adjusment knob almost all the way in (just above the carb). If I let it out the problem gets worse.

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        Super simple. heheh Adjust a slight bit of slack into the return cable at the carb end. The problem is caused by the two cables not having EXACTLY the same travel when the throttle is opened. Putting about 1/8", or slightly less slack in the return cable solves that inequality and allows the throttle to return smoothly.

Earl

Comment

The adjustment knob just above the carb is the rpm/idle adjustment.
          The CABLE adjustments are at the end of each cable where it attaches to the carbs. There is a barrell nut and a jamb nut on each cable. Adjusting these out tightens that cable. Turning them in slackens the cable, There should be a slight amount of slack in both cables. Your cables are adjusted too tight.

There is also an adjuster for both cables at the throttle grip where the cable exit the throttle housing. If minor adjustment is all that is needed, you can adjust the tension/slack on both cables at the throttle grip end.

Earl

This might sound dumb but....how do I do that? I have the adjusment knob almost all the way in (just above the carb). If I let it out the problem gets worse.
          Last edited by earlfor; 02-15-2008, 07:46 PM.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Yeah those were the adjusters I was talking about...I know where the idle adjustment is 8-[.

I took a look today and it seems as though there is a bit of slack below the adjuster nut and above the hooks that connect the cable to the throttle valve...the part of the cable that is only steel braided line with no insulation. I actually have the adjuster adjusted all the way DOWN on the return cable.

Is it possible that I have them too tight because of the way I routed the cables? Now that I think of it, it was a BEAR trying to get the return cable attatched on the right hand control side of things.

Comment

The cables have too much tension on them. If it isnt the adjusters making them too tight, then it can only be the routing. The only other possibility is you have the wrong cables on it and they are too short.

Earl

Yeah those were the adjusters I was talking about...I know where the idle adjustment is 8-[.

I took a look today and it seems as though there is a bit of slack below the adjuster nut and above the hooks that connect the cable to the throttle valve...the part of the cable that is only steel braided line with no insulation. I actually have the adjuster adjusted all the way DOWN on the return cable.

Is it possible that I have them too tight because of the way I routed the cables? Now that I think of it, it was a BEAR trying to get the return cable attatched on the right hand control side of things.

Comment

Thanks! Looks like I'll be rerouting them today....after I get the new coils/ignition on and working.

Comment

Working...
                X