Blue Pipes Gone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blue Pipes Gone

Accepting the award for the cleanest pipes in N.E. Ohio is Slowride.

It's an honor to receive this award especially since I was the only one up for it (today). I want to thank BassCliff for the lead (he told me about Blue Job), Psyguy for the hope (he mentioned I have double skinned pipes), and Blue Job for the magic.

The blue in my pipes is almost entirely gone. (I did leave a little because Dogma said he likes his pipes blue and because I was getting tired of all the rubbing). It took a couple times of rubbing the Blue Job on, wiping it off, etc but they look a lot better. Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm going to try to attach a before and after photo. The before picture (the first one) was after the first attempt to rub it out.

Here is the after photo.

Ed

Comment

Well, I guess the photos are not the best, but believe me, the pipes look a lot better. Now I just have to clean up the rest of the bike. I'll be riding soon.

Ed

Comment

Mr. slowride,

You can tell in the pictures. They look a lot better. Nice work!

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

:-D glad to hear all is well again
          GS850GT

Comment

Looks nice.
            Maybe a dumb question, but will it clean any discoloration such as brown along with the blueing?

Comment

Where did you get the Blue Job? How much is it?
              1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
              1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Along with the blue, my pipes had some brown as well and it did get rid of it too. I was going to buy the Blue Job online ($14.95 + shipping) because I couldn't find it locally until I went into the local Harley shop. It was $11.95 for a little container of it (about the size of a skoal tin). It's a white powder and there is not very much in it, but, it goes a long way. I was temped to get another container before the price goes up because it works great on the other chrome as well.

Ed

Comment

Based on comments here, just ordered some Blue-Job from ebay. Several sellers have it for $12 shipped which seems expensive, but worth it if it works. Thanks for the tip.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I tried it too but it didn't do much for mine. Maybe mine were too blue?! I did have better results from using a buffer wheel and the white polish bar though.

You're right it is an awfully little amount in that container for the price. Sort of reminded me of Bar Keepers friend but it was a finer powder.
                    "Just Ducky, Thanks!"

Where I've ridden.

Comment

am i the only one that thinks the blue is cool? hell i'm anxious to try the whole "spray WD-40 on the pipes and runn the hell out of it" trick to make them blue faster and darker :-P

but if you dont like the blue then right on, i'm glad to know you can get it off

Comment

I like the blue too. Looks hotrod.

Comment

Ray, is your '81 GS850G cobalt blue? Mine is, at least that is the color it was called. Anyway, with the pipes nice and clean, you get a little blue reflection from the front fender in the pipes (but not real blue). I guess I'm old fashioned. Not 'old', just old fashioned.

Ed

Comment

It's a bit of an expensive solution if you want to get rid of the bluing permanently, but nickle-plating will do it.
                            I don't know the reason, but read in a tech magazine several years ago that nickle-plated pipes don't turn blue. I tried it on several of my customer's aircraft exhaust stacks, and it works. No bluing.

Comment

To DaveDanger:
                              Don't stand so close to that prop- you're making me nervous8-[!

Comment

Working...
                              X