mixture screw

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mixture screw

one of my mixture screws is pretty boogered up. the screw turns freely for about 4 turns. then it doesnt turn easily. i think it might be cross threaded i want to replace it if possible but i dont know how to get it out. also, i know of no taps that are that fine. any suggestions?

May be the paint or whatever they use at the factory to prevent tampering is causing your problems, soak some PB Blaster or carb cleaner in there for a while and then try it.
    Got a GOOD screwdriver that fits PERFECTLY???
    Also the four turns you are getting should be enough to get it adjusted correctly.
    Or do you need to remove it for some other reason?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I bought a new screwdriver that fit these screws perfectly but they still wouldn't turn more than 4 turns out(even after soaking overnight). In my opinion they are not worth the risk to force out and as was said you'll only need 1 1/2 to 2 turns out from all the way in to get the right mixture.
      I tested a properly sized reverse drill bit on brass screws on the bench and had no success so I wasn't going to risk buggering up any of the "live" screws and be "in a world of sh*t" (as the DI used to say to us at Parris Island).
      Try the adjustments FIRST and see how it runs...you don't want to turn your bike into a garage paper weight while you look for replacement carbs!

Comment

explosives.

Comment

I have the tap for the mixture screw holes. I have been working on GSs as long as they have been around. Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
            I have the tap for the mixture screw holes. I have been working on GSs as long as they have been around. Ray.
            Sounds like something you've had to do more than a few times?
            Still requires removal and disassemble of carb to clean out and retap, and replace screw, right?
            Have you had any success with a reverse drill bit to draw out old screw cleanly without pulling the carb out and disassembling?
            Is it worth risking just to take them out if bike is running right? that's my point.

Comment

Originally posted by rapidray View Post
              If you need to clean up the threads in the hole ,ask Rapidray what size the tap is. A company called M.S.C. has an online catalog where you should be able to order one.

Comment

Originally posted by lurch12_2000 View Post
                Sounds like something you've had to do more than a few times?
                Still requires removal and disassemble of carb to clean out and retap, and replace screw, right?
                Have you had any success with a reverse drill bit to draw out old screw cleanly without pulling the carb out and disassembling?
                Is it worth risking just to take them out if bike is running right? that's my point.
                If it WORKS already, DON'T fix it! Ray.

Comment

found out why it was stripped. something called stupity. i used a screwdriver that was too big, and it rubbed against the sides causing the threads to wear away. what are those screws made of? hopefully something harder than the carb body. z1 has them so i am going to try an extraction while the bike is apart. i am finally goig to clean the carbs the right way and dip them.

ray, could you give me the tap size so i can see if i can get one?

BTW, it only turns 2 FULL turns, and 4 HALF turns.

Comment

I am in the same boat as you are. I think I must have used a large screw driver and ruined the threads. Please keep us posted and let us know how it goes.

Thanks,

Cory

Comment

woo-hoo!

ordered a new mixture screw from z1. took out the old one using a screw extractor. i tried to put the old one in a few times and it would go in a little and then stop. ahhhhhhhhhhhh! i started looking for the correct tap size online, M6 x .5. found one but it was 22 bucks so i went back to the carbs. just to see if it would work, i tried screwing the new one in. it started, creeped up the point where the old one would stop:-|, kept going:-D, and bottomed out!\\/woo-hoo! puttin the carbs back on the bike right now.

edit: i just started the bike, but only for like 10 seconds. i used to have to start it on full choke, and it would only idle at about 1k. now, on full choke, it revs up to at least 3.5k. i didnt dare go any higher on purpose because its 10 pm, but im excited for tomorrow! just have to get the forks and tires back on. will update then.
                      Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2008, 10:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X