Replacement Carbs.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
    i think that's the price INCLUDING a set of carbs. not JUST a rebuild, correct
    Sorry for any confusion....this price is for a replacement set of carbs, ultrasonically cleaned and "rebuilt".

Further to Keiths post I now have little confidence in George's service.

I suppose that I will have to bite the bullit and clean/rebuild them again myself.......and wait for the next fire!!!!
    Last edited by Guest; 02-24-2008, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
      maybe you could indulge us with a pic of the whole bike ? :-D

As requested.

Comment

Wow, beautiful bike man. I don't know where u are from, but it looks like it never snows there unlike here in Boston, MA. But very nice work regardless. -John-

Comment

Originally posted by Chris Bohane View Post

AS she is now...I really could not handle another fire!
          Nice paint on those tins! BTW, not to misdirect the thread, but how'd you do the rear of the trike?

Comment

Looks like our Mr. Chris Bohane is a sick & demented, speed-crazed motorpsycho wacko bent on terrorizing the citizens & highways with his diabolical inventions. I admire that in a man, Chris!

Just the bike merits a separate thread, stunning!

On the carbs it has been my experience that it is important to not only soak and carb-spray the carbs, but also to use a fine wire such as discarded guitar string to clean out the air orifices and jets. Most of us don't have ultrasonic cleaners of course.

One doesn't want to ream out any port or orifice of course, such that it changes diameter, but it is commonly necessary to use a wire to help remove any shellac deposits. The aluminum is tough stuff so it's safe in my experience. Good to cut wire to useable length then polish tip with emery paper or a stone so there's no ragged edges.

Wearing your protective gloves it's a simple matter to spray a little cleaner in orifice and then gently work the wire and spray again to remove loosened deposits. Really makes a huge difference on carb balancing, as it helps match/balance fuel & air flow.

Comment

Chris, I can see where you're worried about what to do.
              You rebuild yourself, maybe you miss something and gas overflows again.
              You send them out and you don't necessarily get what you think you pay for. Let me add some thoughts.
              George claims to have rebuilt literally thousands of carbs. If he has, he should know what he's doing. I was familiar with him and I have no doubt he has knowledge to share. But when he went beyond basic carb repair and started making jetting suggestions and other tuning suggestions/claims, I'd had enough and called him out on it. I told him he shouldn't BS people about some of his work. He decided to leave this site for good but I know he only came around to make business. My desire around here is to help others do their own work and that clashed with him too.
              George tries to make you believe he'll send you some bolt on carbs that need literally nothing more than an idle adjustment. Every single part of the carbs will be in perfect order or new after he finishes with them. He will even jet them according to what he thinks will work. He claims to vacuum synch them too, on a test bike.
              The idea is, he doesn't want you to do it yourself. He knows if you say to yourself "hmmm, if I have to jet and test and take the carbs apart again to change jets and adjust mixture screws and vacuum synch, etc, why don't I just try it myself?" So he BS's you into thinking you can lower your rebuild expenses by saving jet money and vacuum gauge money, etc. If he can jet it right the very first try, that's great and certainly possible. People at this site will tell you I've given spot on jetting suggestions the first try. But I've read his suggestions and they simply made no sense on several occasions. As for the VERY important vacuum synch, he makes me laugh at his technique. Please! I've also read from others here that he cheats on his basic rebuilds too. He simply doesn't do all that you think will be done. But if he was honest, what's he going to say? That he'll send you carbs that are partially rebuilt and the rest left to chance?
              If any part of you still wants to send the carbs to him, or anyone else you don't really know, then I hope it works out well. I understand if you do so considering your fire. As for the fire and doing the work yourself...
              You say it was sticky floats that caused it and I can only wonder how you're sure. I assume you tested them. Yes, parts can fail and things happen beyond your control. Anyone could have done the same thing or any part can change in service. If you had a fire after you paid someone to rebuild them you won't get fire insurance either.
              How long did the bike run after the rebuild/before the fire?
              You say it showed "fuel starvation" symptoms? Immediately after the rebuilt or when?
              Did you install new float valves? Factory or aftermarket? How did you measure float adjustment? Did you verify level with a fuel level gauge? Anything at all that made you question smooth float operation? Float pin condition, tower condition, float itself, etc?
              How did you route your two float bowl vent lines? They look too short to me.
              Did you verify the gas tank is venting well? Is the fuel line 5/16"? Actually, I've got many questions that could be brought up at any rebuild.
              If you do the work yourself, I too, want to see that you do it right. If you can provide pics to help us see your rebuild and any questions you have along the way, that would help.
              You of course would have to say if something doesn't feel right or look right.
              Rebuilding can get expensive and it's easy to place the decisions on someone else. Diaphragms are expensive. QUALITY float valves. Things like that, times 4 maybe?!?
              I'm just not convinced the float stuck. Even if it did, you should be able to rebuild them and correct this.
              If you go with someone else then remember there are no guarantees. You know how you want them done and we can help if you give details of the work.
              And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
              Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

As requested.
                wow chris, luv d bike, mean... TRIKE :-D

nice exhaust!
                GS850GT

Comment

Keith, the fire occoured when I fitted a new head from a 1980 bike and discovered that it was different from a 1979 head. That needed a carb and airbox change. The second hand set of carbs came from ebay.... I bolted them on and tried to start her......result.....fire!!!
                  Following the clean up I took them apart and rebuilt them using carb repair kits.
                  Result as in previous threads, number 1 flooding on occasions. I assume from sticking floats.

I am going to take the carbs apart myself and follow the carb rebuilding advice to the letter.
                  I have discovered a neighbour that races go-karts has his own cleaning tank that I can use.

I appreciate the time that you have all taken in response to my questions.
                  Thank you also for the nice comments on the trike.
                  I know it goes agasinst the grain a little to "aduse" a classic bike but it was a scrapper when I bought it and it sort of evolved from there.

The back axle is from a Reliant Rialto van.
                  Google "Only Fools and Horses" to see Del Boys wheels, ie, yellow Reliant van.

Comment

Google "Only Fools and Horses" to see Del Boys wheels, ie, yellow Reliant van.
                    oh, del boys legendary van... THATS why your trike looks so good! :-D
                    GS850GT

Comment

If you can wait I would get a set of O rings from Robert before doing the rebuild/ http://www.cycleorings.com/
                      Last edited by Guest; 02-25-2008, 01:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1 View Post
                        If you can wait I would get a set of O rings from Robert before doing the rebuild/ http://www.cycleorings.com/
                        Thanks for the advice, I already bought a set when I rebuilt the carbs after the fire.

Following Keiths advice I am going to do the carbs again myself following the carb rebuild posts to the letter and use an ultrasonic cleaner that my neighbour has.

If that dosen't work I am going to buy a new fire extinguisher!!!!

Comment

The rest of the airbrush work....trike now named "Miss Behaving"

Comment

Good luck on it Chris. Just take your time and you'll be fine.
                            If there's anything that seems like it's not right then let us know. Anything at all.
                            And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
                            Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

The rest of the airbrush work....trike now named "Miss Behaving"
                              miss B seems a lil cold up top, if you know what i mean :twisted:
                              GS850GT

Comment

The "swingarm"

Comment

Working...
                                X