Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil leak

Hey all-
    So, the 1985 GS550EF project has sprung an oil leak. It drips. I'm pretty sure it is the gasket under the cylinder head cover. I see and can feel oil right underneath that seam. So, the bike has 11,000 miles on it. I think this seems like a good chance to check the valves. I have standard shop tools, nothing too out of the ordinary. Are there any special tools I will need to do this? Also, while I am playing here, anything else I should check out? I've never gone into an engine, so all suggestions/advice/warnings would really be appreciated. Thanks!

Originally posted by Jbeaber View Post
    Hey all-
    So, the 1985 GS550EF project has sprung an oil leak. It drips. I'm pretty sure it is the gasket under the cylinder head cover. I see and can feel oil right underneath that seam. So, the bike has 11,000 miles on it. I think this seems like a good chance to check the valves. I have standard shop tools, nothing too out of the ordinary. Are there any special tools I will need to do this? Also, while I am playing here, anything else I should check out? I've never gone into an engine, so all suggestions/advice/warnings would really be appreciated. Thanks!
    John,
    Holding the adjusters while tightening the locknuts can be a pain. You can either buy a special too that does this, or make your own. A #2 square drive screw happens to fit on the square head of the adjuster, so you can get one of these and fix to a 'handle' to hold the screw - I welded a little piece of flat steel on to make a tool. May be worth it to just buy the proper tool.

Other than that, check the torque on the head bolts.

Good luck with the valve adjust. If its the first one on that bike, you will likely see some very satisfying results!

Lee

Comment

As John says, without the right tools, it can be frustrating but it is 'doable'. I'd suggest you check them all through 2 cycles (in other words, check them all twice). Remember that a little too loose is better than a little too tight because the clearance will lesson over time.

Personally, I wouldn't touch the head bolts unless you have reason to believe that your head gasket is leaking...(just my personal opinion and others may disagree). Oh...one more thing; don't over tighten the valve cover when you re-install it!!!!!!!!!
      1980 GS1100E....Number 15!

Comment

I did the valves with a #2 square-drive screw. BUT do screw it into a wooden dowel or weld it to some metal. It took a lot of finesse to get it out with a magnet when I dropped it down the cam chain slot. Next time I would buy the tool.

Comment

I haven't done this whole task yet. Once I took the fairings off i realized the major leak was actually from the clutch cover. I replaced that gasket and the dripping has stopped. There is still a minor leak at the valve cover. I'm going to put some more miles on it, get it to 12,000 (1000 miles away right now) and then do the valve adjustment. right now is just not a good time and the wife will react better if there is a delay in more spending on this bike

Comment

Working...
          X