Fuel Leak 1981 GS550

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel Leak 1981 GS550

Folks, let me first assure you that I have exercised the search function. But I have not yet come up with a specific answer to my problem.

I recently purchased a 1981 GS 550 T with only 2500 miles. It ran well for a while but it developed a serious fuel leak, apparently through the number 2 carb, coming out the number 2 exhaust. I suspect that my crankcase is also probably full of fuel.

I have pulled the carbs, and had them overhauled. But the problem persists.

I believe now, thanks to what I have read, that the problem may be that my petcock has given up the ghost. I have ordered a replacement.

Is this a problem that any of you have also experienced, and am I on the right track.

Lots of us have experienced this, and you are on the right track. Everybody here says they 'only' last 25 years. Mine failed after 25 years too, but it was a fatigue failure of an aluminum disk, which should be related to number of cycles, not time.

Comment

I also had the same problem with a bad petcock diaphragm. I had fuel leaking down my vacuum line and into the #2 carb, causing the #2 to run rich and fuel to fill my crankcase. I rebuild the petcock with a new diaphragm and orings and my problem was solved. Kudos for using the search function to find this relatively common problem. Oh, and welcome to the forum. :-D

Comment

Fixed and fine.

Comment

Working...
        X