Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1978 GS550 Fork seals replacement

Hi guys,
    my friend owns a 1978 GS 550 and needs to replace the fork seals. When she did it the first time it was a real pain in the b.... to get the old seals off and the new ones on.
    Does anybody have tips on how to do it 'the easy way' or even better step-by-step instructions.\\/.
    Thanks a bunch!!!!
    Sabine

Those seals can be a right beggar to get out. I always try prising out, very carefully with a screwdriver. If that doesn't work it's a very careful punch inwards with a screwdriver, or sometimes punch around the inside of the fork. All the time being extra careful not to damage the inside of the leg where the seal is mounted (or else the seal will leak on the outside). Final step if all else fails is burn the rubber off with a blow torch and repeat - messy and smelly but has never failed me yet.
    79 GS1000S
    79 GS1000S (another one)
    80 GSX750
    80 GS550
    80 CB650 cafe racer
    75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
    75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Do they have the air ports on the caps? Got mine out by taking out the circlip & sticking 160PSI in there with a bike Track pump... worked fine.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

I always without fail fully strip & clean out forks whan changing the seals the only real problem can be the allen bolt in the bottom that holds the damper

Doing it this way takes a little longer but reduces the chance of damaging the fork leg or the sealing surface & gives you the chance to inspect the internal bushing :-D

Comment

I've done 3 sets on my Yammies only but i think they'll be the same on the GSs. Once you have all the gubbins out(spring, damper rod upper leg etc.)take out the circlip to expose the seal. Using a dremel tool with cutter disk fitted carefully cut a slot into the seal. Once the slot is cut the seal can very easily pried out with a thin regular screw driver.

Before installing the replacement, clean out any gunge (don't you love technical jargon?) with emery cloth or wet dry sand paper and wipe clean with a cloth and a little mineral spirits. Smear a little bit of plain axle grease around the outer ring of the seal and start it into the tube. Make sure it goes in square. To drive it home I use a rubber mallet with a head of approximately the same diameter. Place the head of the mallet onthe seal and strike the mallet with another mallet or hammer. Works everytime.

Hope this helps abit.

Good luck with the project.

Cheers,
          Spyug

Comment

Working...
          X