A picture of what is wrong.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A picture of what is wrong.

I have one of these on my CB650 that seems to be stuck. If you don't know what it is, it is an oil filter bolt. This bolt holds the cover over the filter and the filter in place. I cannot get it out and I need the wise advice of the GS Resources.

What I have tried: I tried cutting a grove in the bolt so I could stick a huge flathead screw driver in it. I thought using vise grips and a huge flat head screw driver I could get some umph on the bolt and "break" it loose. Well I broke the huge screw driver, good thing it was a Craftsman.

I tapped the sucker with a ballping hammer for about an hour, no budgey.

I used my nifty Impact Driver, that hasn't failed me yet, it failed.

The reason I can't put a socket on the head is because the PO before me or the PO before him stripped the crap out of it. The head is so bad it is almost rounded.

I was thinking I would top off the oil, since it is a little low, and running the engine for a few minutes, making the engine a little warm. I think I can turn it easier with a warm engine. What do you think? Any other ideas on turning this stupid bolt. I was also thinking a big bolt extractor, since I am going to replace the bolt anyways, but I am not sure if that will work.

What should I do guys and gals?

Cory

Put in clean oil, put it all back together, put it on Craigslist.
    It's a Honda anyway.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

but they I wouldn't have anything to ride.

Cory

Comment

Good point, buy a nice GS, get it running, and then put the Honda on craigslist.

Comment

yeah, my next bike will be another GS, but it will probably be a newer 500. Until then, because I am poor, I need some good tricks to get my bolt out, so I can replace it and the oil filter.

Cory

Comment

Maybe weld a "handle' on the head of the bolt?

Comment

I was actually wondering about that. I need to find someone with a spare afternoon to come weld a handle onto it. I was hoping there was some more things I could try before going that far.

Cory

Comment

How much of it is sticking out?
                Can you get vice grips on it?

Comment

I can get vice grips on it, but they slip off. Is there anything I can put in the head to prevent the vise grips from slipping off? Someone at the motorcycleforum.com suggested I use my dremmel and grind the bolt back to shape so a socket will once again fit. I still think I will need to warm the engine to loosen the bolt. I don't think the bolt is coming out cold.

Cory

Comment

I've found that using one large pair of vice grips parallel to the bolt and gripping the bolt and a second smaller set of vice grips attached perpendicular to the the bigger grips and a hammer work well.

Comment

Heard very good things about these... http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...3424_200263424

I can also recommend Kroil penetrating oil as being really good stuff....

It might well be easier when things are warm.

Dan
                      1980 GS1000G - Sold
                      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
                      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
                      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
                      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
                      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
                      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

That would work great, but I don't think I have enough bolt to put two pairs of vise grips on it. I have about half an inch. That is what you mean correct? Or is one pair of vise grips gripping onto the other? I think we might be on to something. What do you do with the hammer?

Comment

salty_monk,
                          thanks for the link I will look into purchasing a set of these. I am curious to the, "will ship in 30 or more days", they must be out. I will search around for another dealer.

Also I have used penetrating oil, but due to the bolt being parallel to the ground and the threads being so far down the bolt I don't think anything is making it to them. Plus there is a ring at the top of the bolt that prevents water and debris from entering the hole, so it also is preventing the oil from flowing as well.

Thank you for the great ideas.

Cory

Comment

I found the Irwin bolt grip 5 pcs set locally for $20. I think I might have to go get it tomorrow and try it out. It still would be a good idea to run the engine first, right? Or do you think these would work with a cold engine?

Cory

Comment

Do you have space to be able to file two flat sides on the bolt head so you can get a standard open end wrench on it?

Earl
                              All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Working...
                              X