Which chain and sprockets do I choose?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which chain and sprockets do I choose?

My 1981 GS 750 Ex is due for an new chain and some new sprocets. I went to bikebandit.com to do some pricing and was rather thoughly overwhelmed. All the different brands and tooth ratios. What do the different tooth ratios do for you? I'm looking a dependable brand too. This is my first time buying any of this stuff. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Give Z1 Enterprises a call. They are very knowledgeable and helpful. Their prices are good and shipping is very quick.
    IBA# 24077
    '15 BMW R1200GS Adventure
    '07 Triumph Tiger 1050 ABS
    '08 Yamaha WR250R

"Krusty's inner circle is a completely unorganized group of grumpy individuals uninterested in niceties like factual information. Our main purpose, in an unorganized fashion, is to do little more than engage in anecdotal stories and idle chit-chat while providing little or no actual useful information. And, of course, ride a lot and have tons of fun.....in a Krusty manner."

Comment

No matter what, get an O RING or X RING chain! Steel sprockets in the rear are heavier than aluminum but will last LOTS longer. A 530 conversion kit with something in the area of 3 teeth BIGGER in the rear in gear ratio will make a good difference in accelleration. If your stock gearing with the 630 is 15/45 you will need to go something like 17/51 to get the same ratio gearing & have clearance for the smaller diameter 530 sprockets. Confused yet?!! LOL!!! If it were mine & it ISN'T a totally FREEWAY bike, IF the stock gearing were 15/45 (3.0 to 1), try a 530 conversion with 17/54 sprockets to have better take off! Try that! Good luck whatever you decide, Ray.

Comment

Originally posted by Rider2898 View Post
        My 1981 GS 750 Ex is due for an new chain and some new sprocets. I went to bikebandit.com to do some pricing and was rather thoughly overwhelmed. All the different brands and tooth ratios. What do the different tooth ratios do for you? I'm looking a dependable brand too. This is my first time buying any of this stuff. Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.
        Owner's manual for your bike (as mine) calls for either a DAIDO DID630V or a TAKASAGO RK630SO (so use those numbers as equals). Recommends inspect every 3500mi or 12mo, clean with kerosene every 600mi and lube. With .8 - 1.2" slack to bottom of chain 1/2 way between sprockets when properly adjusted.

I think it's significant there is no recommended replacement time/miles for the chain or sprockets. Just check for wear/rust when you clean/lube it. I avoid dirt roads for good reason - I don't like cleaning the chain frequently and they aren't cheap.

15t front, 41t rear. Price ranges from ($56BB) to ($33Z1) Chain I don't remember links number (count them) but $194 BB and $167Kirk but you can't use the rivet style unless you have the riveter and the links cost $6 either way. Believe there is one washer shim in front for a buck too? Honestly I don't know if you save much doing this yourself? Hour's labor in the shop? I would check prices around town first.
        Last edited by Guest; 04-01-2008, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Z1 Enterprises specializes in quality Motorcycle parts for Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Classic Japanese motorcycles from the 1970's and 1980's.

Many people convert to a 530 chain these days - 630 size is obsolete for the most part. Z1 will hook you up with what you need.
          Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I called Z1enterprises and they were very helpfull. Thanks for all of your input:-D.

Comment

As Nessism points out the 630 is considered obsolete by many in the bike world for various reasons however, industry still use 630. I buy my 630 O Ring chain from a Company called Tsubaki. The chain is made in Japan and is very good quality, got 45,000km out of the last one. I use genuine sprockets front and rear as I get far more mileage out of them than aftermarket items. Each to their own I guess, cheers.
              Shin-Ken 1074
              1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
              1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Working...
              X