X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
    Maybe it is the igniter...

Dan
    the more we talk about it the more i think it would pay to switch the ignitor out with somebody and see what happens
    GS850GT

Comment

I may get a Dyna S or use Ed's that he offered earlier to test it out. I can always use a Dyna S on my 78 if that's not the issue.

Ordered a new Cam chain today, split type with a master link.

Dan
      1980 GS1000G - Sold
      1978 GS1000E - Finished!
      1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
      1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
      2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
      1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
      2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
        hi 49er

not sure how long "forever" is, but mine were shot at less than 90k kms
        i would think the wear would also depend on how hard you push them

however, in this case it doesnt seem to be the issue
        cheers
        Hi Ivor
        Mine hasn't exactly been parked in a monastry the last few years!
        It's done 83ks now, and sees 10k on the tacho, off and on.
        It's obvious when the springs are sad. You'll never forget the sound of valve bounce once you've experienced it. Then it's time to replace the springs. I guess you decided to changed yours after measuring their free length. That's the recommended guideline.
        Cheers
        The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
        GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
        GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
        GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
        http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
          I guess you decided to changed yours after measuring their free length. That's the recommended guideline.
          Cheers
          i see what you mean, they would last past their factory specified service limit before they actually cause any damage
          yes, i changed them after measuring free length, better safe than sorry kind of approach
          GS850GT

Comment

Originally posted by psyguy View Post
            i see what you mean, they would last past their factory specified service limit before they actually cause any damage
            yes, i changed them after measuring free length, better safe than sorry kind of approach
            Valve springs are one of the most forgotten items during top end rebuilds. In most stock applications, they can be overlooked, without dire consequences. Once you fit high lift/high overlap cams, you need to fit matching springs. Those who dont, risk spring bind causing serious cam and spring coil damage.
            My springs were still in the middle of the suggested free length range.

Just checked your 850's pic again. How are you finding the Cycleworks 4-1 slash pipe?
            The baffle on mine started to rattle when cold. I removed it last week and drilled some extra holes to improve the upper mid range. It's only marginally noisier than before, the exhaust note, not the rattle!
            The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
            GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
            GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
            GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
            http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

I would put this down as ignition only, especially after reading that the usable RPM range has dropped.

You might look at the ignition rotor and be sure it is not a bit bent, which would make its movement eccentric and at higher RPMs that could cause the effect you mention.

I notice someone already suggested a plug check. This might tell you if a coil was failing.

If the others check out, you need an ignitor.
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

It's happening at pretty much all RPM's now so I guess it's failing & plugs are likely fouled. I will check it out asap. Want to check I have good voltage at the coils etc, maybe run some tests on the ignitor from the Clymer manual.

Thanks again,

Dan
                Last edited by salty_monk; 04-03-2008, 08:41 PM.
                1980 GS1000G - Sold
                1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Well this explains something I think.... at the coils I have 9.5V at 3 of the connectors & 1.5v at the other (engine off, ignition & kill switch on).
                  At the battery I have about 11.5v (because the headlamp is on by default on my bike, it's fully charged as I charged it last night).

Now to find out where I'm losing all those volts (would explain why number 3 plug is fouled whilst the others are clean...)

I think I should also have 12v (or the same as the battery) at the other points too... can anyone confirm?

Guess I'm going to have to chase my way through that part of the loom & see what I find.

Dan
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Working...
                  X