Old tires suck...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old tires suck...

Put new Vesrah brake pads on the front of the 1000, went for a test ride.

A few fairly hard brake applications to break them in, about the fourth or fifth time the brake started to work fairly well. A good hard two finger pull and the stupid tire locked up. Surprised me a bit, wasn't expecting it... Couldn't believe it really, was not stopping all that hard.
    These are good quality tires, near zero miles on them, they are just old and hardened.

I knew they were slippery, but this is ridiculous.

Avons coming.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Woo hoo! Did you do a stoppie? :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Yeah, old tires are good for burnouts and thats just about it. I think you'll like those Avons. I do.

Comment

If you're going to do a stoppie after you put the new Avons on, make sure you get a picture. I've gotta see that. :shock:

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
          Woo hoo! Did you do a stoppie? :-D

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
          Not even close, barely slowing.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Burke View Post
            If you're going to do a stoppie after you put the new Avons on, make sure you get a picture. I've gotta see that. :shock:
            Not sure I have the eye-hand coordination down well enough to take a picture while doing a stoppy.
            Last time I tried to take a picture while riding, almost blew it.
            Taking Ebay pics to sell the first BMW I had at the end of my first year in Scotland.
            Trying to get a pic of the speedo and tach while cruising along a small road in the mountains, couldn't get the sun's angle right so all the gauges could be seen in the pic, it took a lot of tries.
            Didn't really notice the road was ending.
            Doh!

Those brakes worked very well.:-)

Comment

Glad you didn't come to grief. The front tire losing traction is the worst feeling in the world.

I personally love when you go into a corner and halfway through you see that some idiot has dropped sand on the road - NOT!!!!

Comment

I cant say I have had that problem. Probably due to no tire I have bought has lasted to the six month mark before being worn out. :-) A few have not even made the six week mark. :-)

Earl

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Put new Vesrah brake pads on the front of the 1000, went for a test ride.

A few fairly hard brake applications to break them in, about the fourth or fifth time the brake started to work fairly well. A good hard two finger pull and the stupid tire locked up. Surprised me a bit, wasn't expecting it... Couldn't believe it really, was not stopping all that hard.
                These are good quality tires, near zero miles on them, they are just old and hardened.

I knew they were slippery, but this is ridiculous.

Avons coming.
                All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                  I cant say I have had that problem. Probably due to no tire I have bought has lasted to the six month mark before being worn out. :-) A few have not even made the six week mark. :-)

Earl
                  Just bought this bike a few weeks ago, got it running fairly well but there are still a lot of little bugs to work out. Still some parts of it I haven't even looked at yet.
                  Haven't been able to thrash on it at all so far, it's been too messed up.

Comment

Ahhhh, you're forgiven then. LMAO

E.

Just bought this bike a few weeks ago, got it running fairly well but there are still a lot of little bugs to work out. Still some parts of it I haven't even looked at yet.
                    Haven't been able to thrash on it at all so far, it's been too messed up.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                      Ahhhh, you're forgiven then. LMAO

E.
                      And THAT really makes my day. :-)

Comment

Not sure I have the eye-hand coordination down well enough to take a picture while doing a stoppy.
                        Last time I tried to take a picture while riding, almost blew it.
                        Taking Ebay pics to sell the first BMW I had at the end of my first year in Scotland.
                        Trying to get a pic of the speedo and tach while cruising along a small road in the mountains, couldn't get the sun's angle right so all the gauges could be seen in the pic, it took a lot of tries.
                        Didn't really notice the road was ending.
                        Doh!

Those brakes worked very well.:-)
                        I'll add this to the list of things not to try!

Comment

I wouldnt want the old guy to lose any sleep or anything. :-)

E.

And THAT really makes my day. :-)

Comment

Hi Zooks,
                            I would say the front letting go is the second worst feeling, THE worst feeling is watching the road coming up to meet you and knowning what is next, cheers mate.
                            Shin-Ken 1074
                            1982 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana - BOM Nov 2011
                            1981 GSX1135 Katana Build completed Mar 2024, Curb Weight, all fluids and 21 lt fuel = 206 kg.

Comment

Originally posted by Shin-Ken 1074 View Post
                              Hi Zooks,
                              I would say the front letting go is the second worst feeling, THE worst feeling is watching the road coming up to meet you and knowning what is next, cheers mate.
                              Those are only second and third.
                              The worst is when the road actually hits.

Comment

Working...
                              X