GS750E Fork Air Pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS750E Fork Air Pressure

I just picked up some forks on Ebay and they arrived fully commpressed with oil, I need to verify the riding area to ensure that there is not pitting etc... Is there a rule on the amount of air pressure to put in the forks?

most people run progressives without air, but if you have stocks, i use 8.5 psi in mine.

Comment

Thanks for the quick response I will give it a try. I'm sure the seals will need to be replaced, right now I just need to verify the condition.

Gord

Comment

Hi Mr. estagor,

I've got an 850. I run 10 to 15 psi depending on what kind of riding I'm doing. I believe the max is 35 psi (for the sake of the seals), but I wouldn't want to ride that way. I'll be installing Progressive springs soon. Then I can do away with the air preload.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff
        Last edited by Guest; 04-02-2008, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Some people run progressives, the rest of us are poor. I added 12mm spacer to my forks and now run about 10psi, before without the spacer I used up to 17lbs of air. I like my front forks pretty stiff. With this amount of air and spacer I use 20wt fork oil and when I am sitting on the bike and drop it off of the centre stand I get 18mm of sag. I also have the preload turned up on the rear shock to the third mark. I only dial it up to four when the wifey is on the back.

Comment

Hi Mr. Clone,

If it helps, www.underbid.com has Progressives fork springs for $54.27. Just take out the hyphen (-) in the part number when you search, i.e. 11-1107 would be 111107.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by estagor View Post
              I just picked up some forks on Ebay and they arrived fully commpressed with oil, I need to verify the riding area to ensure that there is not pitting etc... Is there a rule on the amount of air pressure to put in the forks?
              Manual calls for 0.5kg/cm2 which I'm pretty sure equals one atmosphere of 14.3psi maximum. The hard part is getting them the same - takes practice and a quick hand with the gage as normally the gage itself will lose some psi. What I usually do is fill the hose of my aircan and shut off the valve. That little puff is enough to fill to 14psi with 100psi in the can. With practice I can use a small air gage to get them the same. Holds for about 6 months. I like 10-12psi to control dive at stops.

I just ordered a small aluminum hand pump for bicycles for $13 to use in the future and it will come in handy on the road with the ablility to do up to 90psi for anything that needs a boost

Some have made a gizmo to connect them both from the posts I've read but I'm not up to that yet. Would probably just change them to progressives and solve the problem permanently instead. As mentioned.

Comment

Working...
              X