X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need some help on the gs550 running problem

The bike bogs down horribly on accleration

I removed all 4 carbs and cleaned them very well. I replaced all orings
    Replaced all 4 intake boots. Two were broken, and I thouht this was my only problem.
    Compression 125 in each cylinder
    New plugs
    Blue spark to each cylinder.

I have to have the choke on almost all the way for it even to run.
    I am now questioning whether the petcock is functioning correctly. When I turn the valve to res. a steady stream comes out, but the bike doesn't run any better. I installed an inline small engine filter and it always looks empty when I am running the bike. The vacuum is pulsing well. When I put a separate hose on the petcock as to fill another container, turn the valve and run the bike, soemtimes its good, and othe times its looks like there is just as much air as fuel spitting out.
    Please help?

Need more info.
    Take out the filter, put a hose from the petcock big hose to a gas can. Does gas flow fast when vacuum is applied to the other hose? Does any gas come out the little hose?

What is the level of fuel in the float bowls?

CV carbs or VM carbs?

Did it ever run correctly or did you inherit this problem? What did you do to it right before this started happening?

Bogs under acceleration, full throttle, partial throttle, cold or hot?

Always, sometimes, after a long hill?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

I bought the bike in non running condition from a dealer that didn't know anything about it.

Now the bike runs great on acceleration through all the gears. I drove it about 1.5 miles and it accelerated great. I don't know why now and not before. However, when it idles a for a little while it will kill and I have a very hard time getting it to start back up. It will crank over until the battery dies. The battery has 7 of 07 engraved in it, but it doesn't take long for it to loose its cranking power. A voltmeter on the cycle at idle shows about 12.9v max. I will try the vacuum pump idea. Its just baffles me that it dies at idle and then not restart.

Comment

the year of manufactore would be pretty helpful...

engine flooding? does it have the original petcock? Almost sounds like it's stuck on prime and you're just feeding it too much gas when you're off the throttle...

#1. make sure the petcock isn't on prime.

#2. if it's an automatic petcock (no lever) get rid of it and get one with a lever... make sure it's not on prime.

#3. if it's not on prime make sure it's working properly and not always on.

#4. if all of the above is OK check your float levels and make sur your float valves aren't stuck...

Comment

Going along with the bad petcock idea. Make sure your oil level isn't rising. If it is, your petcock is bad and you have an oil pan full of gas. Replace the petcock, change the oil and try again.

Comment

Sorry Guys
            82 GS550L
            The bike runs great now and I tested the pet cock. With the fuel on, no fuel comes out. I applied vacuum to it and fuel pours out. This is correct. Right.
            When I turn it one way the fuel pours out on its own

The last few times I tried to start the bike, it started right away, but once in a while it will just crank and crank and almost start but not quite. Then the battery gets weak. I have tried feathering the throttle and the choke. If I leave it sit for a few minutes, and go back to it I can usually get it to start, but it starts somewhat hard. Its almost as if it is flooded. Any ideas guys. Thanks much for your technical expertise on suzi-q

Comment

This may totally be out of left field, but I had occasional hard start problems on my GS1000 until I replaced the coils and wires. The reason was one or another cylinder that was intermittently going dead because the wires were cracked and the coils were weak. The times it was hard to start were when it was trying to start on 3 cylinders. I would eventually get it going then realize one of the cylinders was dead.

Comment

Have you adjusted the valves?
                This is a critical 1st step in troubleshooting.
                Float height may also be an issue
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

hard start- idles poorly

HEY DEER, Have you cleaned out your pilot jets, those small holes could could have deposits in them restricting fuel flow creating those conditions. I have been down that road before. Doesn't take much to restrict them. I've taken them out and used a fine wire to clean out the tip of jet. Did the trick.

bmac

Comment

Guys thanks for the replys.

The bikes runs down the road great now, but I am still having problems with the idle.
                    Sometimes it will idle normal; other times it will race at 3500, and other times it will barely run. It is usually running well. I replaced the intake boots and orings. I have no other intake leaks, but can't figure it out. I have all new orings in the carbs and have the idle screws out 3 turn each. All the carbs and jets have been thoroughly cleaned. Any ideas?

Comment

Originally posted by deerejohn View Post
                      Guys thanks for the replys.

The bikes runs down the road great now, but I am still having problems with the idle.
                      Sometimes it will idle normal; other times it will race at 3500, and other times it will barely run. It is usually running well. I replaced the intake boots and orings. I have no other intake leaks, but can't figure it out. I have all new orings in the carbs and have the idle screws out 3 turn each. All the carbs and jets have been thoroughly cleaned. Any ideas?
                      The symptoms you describe sound like an intake leak. I'd suggest new intake boot O-rings but you say you have already replaced them. Not sure what to suggest other than checking for leaks by spraying WD-40 or something similar on the intake boots and listening to the idle speed - a speed change indicates a leak.
                      Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I had the same idle problem on my GS550B and it turned out the idle mixture screws (not the fuel screws) were set too lean. Bought a carbtune and set each one a little on the rich side of what they advised in the instructions and the variation in idle completely disappeared. Idles great now no problems whatsoever. My bike also was varying between stalling and 3,500 revs, but it ran great on the road, heaps of power, good acceleration. Just a thought, it may help.

Comment

[quote=deerejohn;793013]Sorry Guys
                          82 GS550L
                          The bike runs great now and I tested the pet cock. With the fuel on, no fuel comes out. I applied vacuum to it and fuel pours out. This is correct. Right.

This is correct, but not the whole story. A small leak in the petcock diaphragm can draw gas into the #2 cylinder while still actuating the petcock. I learned this on this forum. It can cause symptoms like yours.

Comment

Working...
                          X