Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Disassembling fork tubes - bottom allen bolt?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Easiest way to level it up.....

Get a spray bottle & remove the trigger.

Cut the straw to the correct length you need between the bottom of the threaded cap & bottom of the straw.

Rest threaded cap on top of forks & pump away until it stops. You'll be at the right level.

This is seriously quicker than any other method I've tried & post measuring with my vernier calipers depth gauge revealed it to be spot on accurate.

Dan
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Goddamn. You gotta appreciate the simplicity of genius.

Comment

That's a smart freakin' idea! I've been using a big syringe and vernier calipers for years, but I like your method. The only problem is if you're experimenting with different oil levels to tune the handling.

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post

Cut the straw to the correct length you need between the bottom of the threaded cap & bottom of the straw.

Rest threaded cap on top of forks & pump away until it stops. You'll be at the right level.

This is seriously quicker than any other method I've tried & post measuring with my vernier calipers depth gauge revealed it to be spot on accurate.

Dan

Comment

Excellent

Thanks for sharing.
          Posplayr

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
            Thanks for sharing.
            Posplayr
            No probs. I messed about with Mountain bike forks for years the hard way before I discovered that!

If you're playing with levels... make sure you have a few triggers, have a look in the kitchen or bathroom your missus prob has a bunch of stuff with them on, just need a bit of prep time to get her to save them for you!!
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by UncleMike View Post
              You gotta appreciate the simplicity of genius.
              AND the genius of simplicity. 8-[

If you're playing with levels... make sure you have a few triggers, have a look in the kitchen or bathroom your missus prob has a bunch of stuff with them on, just need a bit of prep time to get her to save them for you!!
              Another solution is to find some clear plastic tubing in the plumbing department at Lowe's that slips over the intake tube of the trigger. By sliding it up and down the trigger's tube, you have adjustable heights.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

OK - I give. How do you remove the allen bolt from the bottom of the forks, so that you may disassemble them? I'm trying to send the fork tubes from a spare set of 750 forks to Baatfam.

Thanks,
                /Mike
                Mike, CHeck out the video clip below on how to dismantle your forks and change the seals.

This clip is taken from the 'Replace your fork seals' DVD available from DrivenandRidden.com.

Comment

It's a nice video that shows the pieces coming apart, but since everything came apart easily, it does not show how to hold the inner piece.

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                    No, you have to get the LEVEL of the oil exactly the same. The amount is irrelevant...
                    Amount or level, what's the difference? Unless one side has something else inside that makes the internal volume different than that of the other then the amounts will be the same if their levels are the same.

I guess the way I do it - using a dipstick - it's the levels that I check to make sure they match. The point being, how much isn't as important as having each side being the same.
                    Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2008, 09:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by emjay View Post
                      Amount or level, what's the difference? Unless one side has something else inside that makes the internal volume different than that of the other then the amounts will be the same if their levels are the same.

I guess the way I do it - using a dipstick - it's the levels that I check to make sure they match. The point being, how much isn't as important as having each side being the same.
                      What's the difference? Easy. Start with equal amounts of oil in each tube. Drain the first tube overnight and, for argument's sake, drain 200 ml of fluid. The next morning you get a phone call inviting you to a ride, so you drain the other tube in a hurry, so you can re-fill the forks and go on the ride. Because you did not let it drain completely, you might get 190 ml. Now fill both of them with the required 200 ml and see which one has more fluid in it.

As I see it (and this is a rather simplistic view), as long as the damping mechanism is always covered with oil, your damping action will remain consistent. What will change is spring action. When the forks compress, the air that is trapped above the oil will also compress, increasing pressure. With oil at different heights, the air pressure will be different in the forks, possibly causing some undesireable effects. This might be minimized or even eliminated if you have a balance tube to equalize pressure in the fork tubes.

Obviously there is something else at play here, as I can't imagine a 1 mm difference in oil level to have that great an effect on air pressure values.

My personal choice for setting fork oil levels still remains the "overfill it slightly and suck out the excess" method. 8-[

sigpic
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride

Comment

Here is another video for you>

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Nice Vids but somehow not realistic for the average back-yard-joe.

I had to use a 3/8 drive allan socket on the bottom with the flipped over 5/8 plug socket and a 3/8 breaker bar on top (inside) and then a huge amount of torque to get mine apart. Thats after a day of soaking in PB blaster. After that I needed to replace the stripped out allan bolts from suzuki. Couldnt find them anywhere else.
                          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Luckily I had another triple clamp laying around, so I could put it in that briefly for leverage.

Winner!

Just crack the top cap and bottom rod bolt while the forks are still clamped in the triples. The fork brace/fender will act as a clamp keepig the lowers from spinning while you loosen the damping rod bolt, without risking marring the fork leg in a vice.

-Q!
                            Last edited by Guest; 04-05-2008, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Dan

I do the same thing, but with a nursing syringe from a veterinary supply store.

Use a bit of clear rubber line slipped on the nipple of the nursing syringe cut to length for the desired fork oil level. Top the forks off with oil, and siphon the oil down to the desired level with the syringe.

The nice thing about the syringe is that it rests over the top of the fork opening to ensure that the hose is centered so your measurement is precise.

I never go with volumetric measurements, as it's near impossible to make sure you get ALL of the old oil out of the forks short of solvent-dipping them.

As for measurements matching between legs, I always make sure to do so - but from what I've read, I don't think it's as dire as one would think. The forks work together as a unit, so one leg will compensate for another - that's why many Hondas have independent air valves instead of coupled air valves, which allow for variances between fork air pressure. Some smaller bikes even come with a single fork spring, as the whole fork works as a unit once clamped together...

I'm sure on a MotoGP bike, minor variances can win or lose a race, but on a UJM or smaller economy bike, the difference likely wouldn't be discernable.

-Q!

Comment

Working...
                              X