Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replace My Tensioner?

Hi all,

I posted up here awhile ago about my "malfunctioning" auto-tensioner on my '80 GS850 L. Yes, I have replaced seals, cleaned it out etc. (according to BW's site) but it still rattles more than I would think it should, even though I know they are loud. There was some scoring on the valve-cover from the cam chain, but this could have come from BEFORE i cleaned it up.

My question is whether I should go for an APE tensioner now, or leave it be a little noisy. The next time the valve cover is off, I'll score the worn part of the valve-cover so I know if it is still hitting it, but until that point...kinda thinkin about it. The APE tensioners are manual, so I'm not sure what is involved, and they are somewhat pricey at about 50 bucks.

What do you guys think? I will try and post a sound/ video clip so you can hear what I'm talking about. Maybe I'm overly paranoid (i am)

POOT

No reason your cam chain should be noisey. The stock tensioner is a reliable piece, I say go back and figure out what's wrong. You might want to start by measuring the cam chain for stretch (manual has a spec).

Good luck.
    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I run the APE tensioner and like it. Set it and forget about it.
      I would also check the cam chain. Check your manual it gives a good length for twenty pins.
      1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
      1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

While you had the tensioner off, did you check it to see it seemed to be operating properly? Chain stretched could cause the problem, but for it to be loose enougt to hit the cam cover, it would be stretched very bad. The auto cam chain tensioner, on my KZ1300, caused my cam chain to rub the cover, terrible rattle. The tensioners on the early 1300's were known to go bad. replaced it with the newer design, no more rattle
        1983 GS1100E, 1983 CB1100F, 1991 GSX1100G, 1996 Kaw. ZL600 Eliminator, 1999 Bandit 1200S, 2005 Bandit 1200S, 2000 Kaw. ZRX 1100

Comment

as suggested, measure your chain for stretch and make sure the tensioner is functional (before spending any money)
          bear in mind, the tensioner cant compensate for badly stretched chain
          Last edited by psyguy; 04-05-2008, 05:47 AM.
          GS850GT

Comment

Stock Tensioner

as suggested, measure your chain for stretch and make sure the tensioner is functional (before spending any money)
            bear in mind, the tensioner cant compensate for badly stretched chain Yesterday 07:32 PM

Well my initial thoughts on the tensioner were similar ($50 for a hp what??) even though Rapid Ray suggested using the APE tensioner for my GS1100ED.

So if it is functioning, then it is probably OK, BUT after feeling the way the tension varied as I cranked my GS750 over (pushing down on the chain), I even put an APE tensioner on the GS750. I guess I'm a little paranoid about all those funny sounds my bike makes when it warms up and I wanted to exclude and additional noise that the "automatic" tensioner might be adding.

The tensioner really doesn't seem to have much tension and it sure seems like you can have some occasional chain slap. Under decelerations from hard charging situations the tensioner have been known to slip a tooth.

If you putput around, then it is probably OK. but......

Posplayr
            Last edited by posplayr; 04-05-2008, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
              Posplayr
              posplayr, mate, if you re ever down under come have a spin on my bike, you might change your opinion on stock tensioner not being up to heavy duty riding. no funny noises either. cold or warm.

GS850GT

Comment

ape

Originally posted by chef1366 View Post
                I run the APE tensioner and like it. Set it and forget about it.
                I would also check the cam chain. Check your manual it gives a good length for twenty pins.
                ape all the way!

Comment

This is exactly my scenario. As I said, before I cleaned it, it was worse due to a timing issue (which was my stupid, stupid fault.....), but its just like below, where theres only a little extra noise at start up, and its fine most of the time. BUT when I decelerate hard, it rattles too much.

I'll measure the chain, but I'm not sure that it would be so off at only 80'000km on the bike, since I always hear how these roller-bearing cam chains are the bomb.

I'm also kind of leaning to the APE rather than fixing the one on their now, because I've already taken it apart twice, n it just doesnt seem to be up to par.

POOT

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                  bear in mind, the tensioner cant compensate for badly stretched chain Yesterday 07:32 PM

Well my initial thoughts on the tensioner were similar ($50 for a hp what??) even though Rapid Ray suggested using the APE tensioner for my GS1100ED.

So if it is functioning, then it is probably OK, BUT after feeling the way the tension varied as I cranked my GS750 over (pushing down on the chain), I even put an APE tensioner on the GS750. I guess I'm a little paranoid about all those funny sounds my bike makes when it warms up and I wanted to exclude and additional noise that the "automatic" tensioner might be adding.

The tensioner really doesn't seem to have much tension and it sure seems like you can have some occasional chain slap. Under decelerations from hard charging situations the tensioner have been known to slip a tooth.

Posplayr

Comment

Working...
                  X