A Miracle!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A Miracle!!!!

it is, in fact, a miracle. IT RUNS!!!!!!!!!!!!! i put some stuff together today, and hooked up the gas, and turned it on, and VIOLA (that is a little bigger than a violin....) IT FREAKIN STARTED!!!!!!

so. now the real fun begins. i had a slow-to-warm up #3 pipe before the work i have done, and it is still slow to warm up. i have done:

valve adjustment
    carb rebuild w/orings including intake orings courtesy of el jefe robert barr
    carb cleaning
    new exhaust orings
    new plugs

the petcock is new, well, like 4 years old.

i looked at the spark. definitely NOT "fat and blue". but, it is pretty bright out. and there IS spark, anyway. havent done the coil relay mod yet, i have the parts, but was waiting to actually start the puppy, to see if it was, in fact, still a motorcycle, and not just a "well organized collection of parts".

i have not done ANY adjustments to the carbs, other than a manual synch, and to set the fuel and air screw to where they were before the rebuild. this, however, is somewhat suspect.....since i THOUGHT it ran pretty well, this with 6 of 8 valves out of spec and flat/broken intake orings.

so. i know i can search and find all this info, for sure, but i am SO EXCITED because i am SO CLOSE and all these FREAKING HARLEYS keep driving by and it is KILLING ME. LITERALLY. so. YAY!!!!!!!

thanks guys, i couldnt/cant do it without you!!!!!!!!!!

heck yeah.

greg
    1983 GS 1100 ESD

CONGRATULATIONS!!! Great feeling isn't it! I still remember the feeling i had when i started my 850 the first time after purchasing it as an "organized collection of parts". Know whatcha mean! It's killing me not riding...wife had to work this afternoon and i've got little ones to mind after. So, polish and clean are the order of the afternoon. Any good riding roads up in Middleville?

Comment

well, not so much in middleville, but to and fro kalamazoo is a nice ride.....what are you doing to your bike? gonna need a carb synch? im thinking about getting a morgan colortune/carbtune setup.....and seeing as how you are close.....
      1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

oh, and stock exhaust, and stock airbox, sealed.
        1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Bike seems to run very well with no flat spots in the throttle. Carbs were synched last fall by a small local bike shop. That was prior to replacing the intake o-rings. Need to adjust valves before synching. Not sure i'm going to mess with it just yet, or just ride. Hate to mess with it when it starts and runs so well. I've been checking wiring connections and i've yet to find one with even a hint of corrosion or evidence of heat build up. What would you do? The back roads up to Yankee Springs are pretty good. Wish they'd fix the bridge on 10th st north of Martin though. Found out the hard way the bridge is out while pulling a 31' loaded gooseneck trailer. Had to back 1/2 mile to find a turn-around. No signs posting a closed bridge until you're there!

Comment

ride that sucker. when i started taking things off, it turned inot a cascade of things to fix. as long as it is not going to explode or anyhting, ride the crap out of it. wish i was doing that today....

having said all that, everything i have done NEEDED doing. i have been riding it for 4 years with nothing more than oil changes, so it was overdue. cant WAIT to see what it runs like on all 4 cylinders, though........
            1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Oh yeah, have to put the new clutch spring in that arrived from bike bandit yesterday. Need to bring the torque wrench home from work to do that one though, otherwise, would have done it today.

Comment

Working...
              X