Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recitifier regulator question

Hi everyone-

Bought my first bike, a 1980 GS 450 L and ran into my first problem right after I registered it. The rectifier /regulator (aftermarket) gave up the ghost and the new one is slightly different. The old one had a , ground, a red wire and three yellow ones which I marked before removing. The new one has ground, red, yellow, white w/ blue and white w/ red. While these colors perfectly match the wires on the harness they dont match the wiring sequence from the old rectifier/regulator. My question is whether or not I should follow the colors of the new rectifier (my guess) or the wiring sequence from the old rectifier.

I hope thats explained clearly. Thanks for your help

Three of those wires are from the stator, and they don't matter which one they match up to- all those wires give identical AC current. If you make sure the black is the ground, and the solid red is to the solid red you should be fine. The 3 yellow ones are the wires that connect to the stator on my bike. Actually my new stator has all yellow wires. My guess is the yellow and the white and red and the white and blue are the inputs from the stator, and the solid red and solid black are the outputs, and are the positive and ground. Don't go strictly by what I say, because I am pretty new, but I am nearly certain that is the case. Basscliff should be by soon with a welcome and more info. Wait for him to corraborate or dissent my opinon.

The worst part is that now you are surfing the forum, and will soon find out you can buy the best stator for that bike for 40 bucks from our own mr duaneage. Day late and a dollar short I guess. LOL.

Comment

If that OEM style RR gives it up on you later, contact me for a Honda RR kit that will outlast the bike.
      1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
      1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

By the way

It sounds like your R/R that gave up the ghost is an Electrosport(i.e. three yellow wires for stator). Bear that in mind as you read the Stator pages.Pospalyr
        Last edited by posplayr; 04-08-2008, 10:45 PM.

Comment

Thanks for all your help. I kinda figured it would be easier than it looked. The bike is finally running and all is well.

Comment

Working...
          X