Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wiring front signals to be ON all the time?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wiring front signals to be ON all the time?

Is there a way to do this?

Right now I have dual filament incandescents in my front lights and they do the trick 100%, but I'm contemplating going to LED front lights and the lights I want are only available in single function.

Is there a way to wire up the front lights to have them on all the time and blink when needed or is this a pipe dream?

Originally posted by groundshock View Post
    Is there a way to do this?

Is there a way to wire up the front lights to have them on all the time and blink when needed or is this a pipe dream?
    Sure it's possible. Neat idea.

You'd need to do a little extra wiring, which would of course affect the appearance a bit. All you'd need is a pair of NC SPST relays. For each side, one NC terminal runs to the LED and the other to a constant source of +12v. The wire that normally operates the signal lamp instead operates the relay coil for that side of the bike, disconnecting the lamp from +12v. The only downside -- not much of one -- is that the front signal would flash 'off' when your rear flashes 'on'.

In other words, the relay simply interrupts the constant-on +12. One for the left, one for the right.

I'm sure there's a solid-state method. I'll let the chip-heads attack that.

Since you're using LED's, you'll also need to 'load' the output a bit to maintain the flash rate. (I'm sure you know what I mean here.).

(My Nighthawk does what you're after, but it's already dual-filament in the front).
    Last edited by robertbarr; 04-08-2008, 11:31 AM. Reason: Minor grammar problem
    and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
    __________________________________________________ ______________________
    2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

have to go to an electronic flasher for the led lights. it can be done as stated with relays. not a bad idea, wifes 850 has single element lights in front because of her fairing, might just change that.

Comment

Originally posted by saddlewarmer View Post
        have to go to an electronic flasher for the led lights. .
        Not necessarily. It would be cheaper to add a load resistor to 'emulate' the current draw of the front bulb. Put the resistor (one for each side) in parallel with the rear signal bulb.

Just make sure it's husky enough to handle the power. Measure the actual voltage and current at the front signal, and do your calculations from there for resistance and power.
        and God said, "Let there be air compressors!"
        __________________________________________________ ______________________
        2009 Suzuki DL650 V-Strom, 2004 HondaPotamus sigpic Git'cha O-ring Kits Here!

Comment

Originally posted by robertbarr View Post
          Sure it's possible. Neat idea.

You'd need to do a little extra wiring, which would of course affect the appearance a bit. All you'd need is a pair of NC SPST relays. For each side, one NC terminal runs to the LED and the other to a constant source of +12v. The wire that normally operates the signal lamp instead operates the relay coil for that side of the bike, disconnecting the lamp from +12v. The only downside -- not much of one -- is that the front signal would flash 'off' when your rear flashes 'on'.

In other words, the relay simply interrupts the constant-on +12. One for the left, one for the right.

I'm sure there's a solid-state method. I'll let the chip-heads attack that.

Since you're using LED's, you'll also need to 'load' the output a bit to maintain the flash rate. (I'm sure you know what I mean here.).

(My Nighthawk does what you're after, but it's already dual-filament in the front).
          Using a pair of relays works ...

A "premade" solution is available. There are "black boxes" made to run trailer lights which do what you want.

If you plan to use the resistors and an OEM type flasher, the resistors would go in parallel with the relay coils or black box for this application (not in parallel with the LEDs anymore)

But I'd get a solid state flasher instead of using the OEM flasher. Not really much more $, and it doesn't waste all the power that the LEDs are saving.

I'm a chip head, and am going to run mine with a microprocessor.\\/

(edit) Ooops, just noticed; in other post, Robert suggested putting the resistors in parallel with the rear bulbs (rather than coils or black box like I said)

If you do plan to use resistors, his way is better, do that.

They are electrically the same, but his way is much easier to figure out.

(but I still think a solid state flasher is overall better)
          Last edited by Guest; 04-08-2008, 12:25 PM. Reason: missed something

Comment

Working...
          X