Need Carb Rebuild Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Carb Rebuild Help

First...thanks to Paul Musser and his vm carb rebuild instructions...VERY helpful.

Second...thanks to all who post here...I would not have undertaken this project myself without all this incredible info.

Finally, I need a little help. I have all the carbs apart, cleaned and need a couple of Pilot Fuel Screws. Carbs #1 and #4 have badly mangled screws. You can see from the pic below that the good screws (this one from #3) have a sharp point. Mine from #1 and #4 are broken off to a short blunt tip.

My trouble is that I can't find a part number for this. The schematics at BikeBandit and Flatout do not even show this part. Anybody have a part number or know a source for these? I need at least two.

The bike is a 77 GS750B
    The carbs are VM26SS.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

gbw

Here is the part I need:

Another view

Another view

And here is the exploded view (thanks to Paul Musser) showing where the Pilot Fuel Screw goes. See...it goes next to the Starter Jet. (the tip of the point is obscured by the spring (which I have).

Thanks,
    gbw
    Current: 2014 BMW R1200GS, 2009 Triumph Tiger 1050, 1996 DR350SE
    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Also, just looking closely at the carbs again and the tiny points of the broken screws are lodged in carbs on #1 and #4. I can just feel them when I run my finger across the top of the hole.

Any suggestions on how to get these out? I assume I'll have to get these out. That of course assumes I can find new Pilot Fuel Screws.

Thanks,
    gbw
    Previous: 2022 GSX-S1000GT+, 2007 GSF1250SA Bandit, 2008 DL1000 V-Strom, 1977 GS750B

Comment

You will have to get them out, and honestly, i dont have any suggestions on how to go about it unfortunately. The only thing i CAN say, is that fairly frequently, you will see these carbs on fleabay. They also were on a couple Kaw models as well, so dont limit your search to GSs, should you have to go hunting for a new 1 and 4.

Also, did you happen to find the oddball design in the 77 VMs vs the later models shown in the rebuild tutorial? Caused me to FREAK out for a little bit, but rest assured, its the design difference in the 77 model.

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
        You will have to get them out, and honestly, i dont have any suggestions on how to go about it unfortunately. The only thing i CAN say, is that fairly frequently, you will see these carbs on fleabay. They also were on a couple Kaw models as well, so dont limit your search to GSs, should you have to go hunting for a new 1 and 4.

Also, did you happen to find the oddball design in the 77 VMs vs the later models shown in the rebuild tutorial? Caused me to FREAK out for a little bit, but rest assured, its the design difference in the 77 model.
        Thank you. I've got to figure a way to get this bike put together and running. I really want to ride.

As far as the tutorial, the only one I really looked at was Paul Musser's. http://www.thegsresources.com/files/vm_carb_rebuild.pdf. Not sure why this is in the "In the Garage" section of the forum. Seems like it should be with the "Carb Cleanup Series. The carbs he describes are mine exactly.

Thanks again. Let me know if you have any ideas on how I can get those screw points out of the carb bodies. I'll try any crazy idea!!!

gbw

Comment

Those tips are the devil's own to get out when the break off. Try a blast of compressed air from a high pressure gun (pushed down on to the carb body inside). Or punch out with a narrow punch - might be worth boiling the carb in water first as that might loosen it.

I've had some that have come out and some that haven't. Good luck.
          79 GS1000S
          79 GS1000S (another one)
          80 GSX750
          80 GS550
          80 CB650 cafe racer
          75 PC50 - the one with OHV and pedals...
          75 TS100 - being ridden (suicidally) by my father

Comment

Originally posted by hampshirehog View Post
            Those tips are the devil's own to get out when the break off. Try a blast of compressed air from a high pressure gun (pushed down on to the carb body inside). Or punch out with a narrow punch - might be worth boiling the carb in water first as that might loosen it.

I've had some that have come out and some that haven't. Good luck.
            THANK YOU!!!! Last night I boiled them, and soak them with WD-40, sprayed carb cleaner on them, cussed at them, prayed over them, beat my head against them, pryed at them with little picks, and finally had 100% SUCCESS.

Both #1 and #4 now have clear Pilot Fuel Screw holes.

Thanks again. Now I just need the dang screws. I'm going to start a separate thread with the appropriate title. Thanks for all your help.

Greg

Comment

Z1 Enterprises sells carb kits for your carb that have the screw - about $17 each and includes the gaskets. http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=487
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                Z1 Enterprises sells carb kits for your carb that have the screw - about $17 each and includes the gaskets. http://www.z1enterprises.com/detail.aspx?ID=487
                Holy Cow. That just solved my problem. Thank you.

Turns out I ordered one of these that just came in today and saw the screw about 2 seconds before I saw your email.

I only ordered one as a "just in case". I had no idea the screw was in there. What a relief. Now I just need to order another and I'll be set!

Thanks again,
                G

Comment

I have a set left over from K&L carb rebuild kits. I reused my original mixture screws because they had a slightly finer point than the replacements. You can have the set of 4, if you can wait the time it will take to get to you from NZ, by air parel post. I would guess at 4-7 days!
                  PM me if you want them.
                  The road to hell is paved with good intentions......................................

GS 850GN JE 894 10.5-1 pistons, Barnett Clutch, C-W 4-1, B-B MPD Ignition, Progressive suspension, Sport Demons. Sold
                  GS 850GT JE 1023 11-1 pistons. Sold
                  GS1150ES3 stock, V&H 4-1. Sold
                  GS1100GD, future resto project. Sold

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000001.jpg
                  http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s...s/P1000581.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by 49er View Post
                    I have a set left over from K&L carb rebuild kits. I reused my original mixture screws because they had a slightly finer point than the replacements. You can have the set of 4, if you can wait the time it will take to get to you from NZ, by air parel post. I would guess at 4-7 days!
                    PM me if you want them.
                    Wow, thank you so much for the offer. Really appreciate it. Already ordered more kits from Z1 so they are on the way.

I might have everything I need to get the bike back together this weekend (knock on wood, fingers crossed).

Thanks again,
                    gbw

Comment

Working...
                    X