another accomplishment from the help of GSR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another accomplishment from the help of GSR

just wanted to let everyone know that i was able to basicly rebuild this '81 GS-750 with all the help i got from this website. between this year and last year, put new stator/RR, gaskets and seals from the cylinder base up, including new rings, new sprockets, and chain. threw some new tires on this year, it have so far put almost 100 miles on it and i would think this is how it ran when it was new. Thanks! -Keith

here are a few more pics

Comment

looks very nice mate. happy cruising
      1978 GS1085.

Just remember, an opinion without 3.14 is just an onion!

Comment

Looks nice man!

Comment

thanks...

i dont think i would have been able to figure everything that was wrong with the bike without the help of this site.

Comment

that is a sexy beast. my fiencee asked me why i didn't want to buy a brand new bike. I told her two reasons, 1. i can work on this and feel like i accomplished something. 2. most new bikes just don't have that look and feel that, for me, captures riding in a nutshell. these early to mid 80's bikes are where it's at, imho.

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
              that is a sexy beast. my fiencee asked me why i didn't want to buy a brand new bike. I told her two reasons, 1. i can work on this and feel like i accomplished something. 2. most new bikes just don't have that look and feel that, for me, captures riding in a nutshell. these early to mid 80's bikes are where it's at, imho.

I agree... They dont make stuff like they used to! Plus it is alot easier to work on.

That is how I have been refering to the bike now "a sexy beast"!

Comment

Unlimited smiles per gallon

Congratulations Mr. Kbecker3. That's a job well done! It looks terrific! Thanks for showing off your finished project. Now get out there and ride! \\/

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by seuadr View Post
                  most new bikes just don't have that look and feel that, for me, captures riding in a nutshell. these early to mid 80's bikes are where it's at, imho.
                  Oh they have that look and feel allright. The look and feel of every other bike out there! Especially the rockets. ; ) Is it just me or do they all look nearly identical?

Comment

looks great.
                    How do you find riding it with the windscreen on it, I was thinking I might put one on mine, but don't want to end up blown all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by Headphase View Post
                      looks great.
                      How do you find riding it with the windscreen on it, I was thinking I might put one on mine, but don't want to end up blown all over the place.
                      I like it, IMHO I dont think that it is that bad, the worst is when it is really windy, but i think you get blown around no matter what in high winds...I really have it on there now because if i do night riding it still drops down to 30-40's here in ohio, its kinda nice to keep the cold from blowin right on ya. I think that is the slip streamer SS-24? It is very easily removed, there is 2 allen screws, and 2 wing nuts that you remove and it slips right off. so on the 90 degree days it is taken off in like a min. or so.

Comment

i noticed the picture of your head gasket. do you remember if it hugged the cylinders, and if there was a space there or not?

Comment

thanks KB, I might get one and attach/detach as I see fit.

Comment

Originally posted by catbed View Post
                            i noticed the picture of your head gasket. do you remember if it hugged the cylinders, and if there was a space there or not?
                            I dont remember having much space, I dont think they really moved around much, I think they were pretty tight around the outer studs when I put it on, and they were pretty close to the cylinders. I wouldn't think there would be much room because the pistons dont really come up that high to hit the headgasket. I think mine had a ring of carbon on the cylinders about 1/8" below the top.

I was happy I got the head gasket I did. I got one from Bike bandit, it was a fiber one like the factory one, only it was missing one of the egg shapped o-rings so i sent it back the guy from customer service said if they sent another one that it would just come the same way so I told them to keep it. I went to the stealer (dealer) to get one and they gave me the MLS head gasket, seams much nicer. They told me the MLS one superseads the fiber one, and should work much better, so if you plan on doing a head gasket, i would try to get the MLS one, it seams like it will seal better, and last longer.

Hope this helps. Nice looking bike!

Comment

dangit. every time i see another grotty oil pan it gets me closer to dropping mine.....thanks for giving me more to do......nice work!!!!
                              1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Working...
                              X