New fuseblock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New fuseblock

Hey guys thought some of you might be interested in this wee mod.
    I have been chasing electrical gremilins around for awhile.
    I was getting the gear to do the relay in the coil mod. Which by the way worked very well. Any way I saw this fuse box and thought why not.

It's not quite what I was looking for but it will do for a while.
    The empty fuse is for the coil relay.
    Cheers

Actually looks quite good. Is that your stock mount plate and did you have to tap and drill the holes to mount the R/R there?

Comment

Where can you get fuseblocks for a decent price? Kragen had none, Napa had none in stock and none <$40ish that they could order, radioshack had none...

Comment

Originally posted by Stryfe View Post
        Actually looks quite good. Is that your stock mount plate and did you have to tap and drill the holes to mount the R/R there?
        Thanks
        Yes it is the stock mounting plate. The Honda r/r had the same hole centres and fitted straight on.
        I only had to drill new mounting holes for the fuse box.
        The hardest part was getting the screws and washers. I had sneak in and out of the parts store without the engineers seeing me.
        Cheers

Comment

Beautiful RR there....

I think the best part of the Honda RR mod is the bolt holes line up. Not having to drill, tap and pound something in place is a relief.
          1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
          1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by Junkie View Post
            Where can you get fuseblocks for a decent price? Kragen had none, Napa had none in stock and none <$40ish that they could order, radioshack had none...
            I know this doesnt help you Junkie, but for those of us playing in NZ or OZ the parts are from Supercheap auto. Cost around 20 shiny NZ dollars all up.
            Junkie what about going to a car wreckers and cutting a fuse box from a wrecked car? Shouldnt cost too much.
            Cheers

Comment

OK, it's not cheap, but if you are looking for a nice installation with another neat mod to boot, here is one from Electrical Connection.

It's $45, has 6 fused outputs, will handle 30 amps and is controlled by a relay. The other neat mod is that they include a connection that goes through the normally closed terminal on the relay (87a) for a battery charger. This essentially disconnects the rest of the bike from the battery when the key is off, and allows the charger to only charge the battery and not be affected by the r/r which is usually separated from the battery only by a fuse. It would take a little more re-wiring to incorporate this feature, but it sounds intriguing.

If you don't want to use the relay, you can simply use the fuse block with its six fuses.

There is quite a selection of fuse blocks at Terminal Supply, but you have to register to see the prices. Blocks are available from 4 to 16 circuits.

Four and Six circuit panels are available for $10-13 from Centech.

Another panel can be found at Auto ReWire.

Here is another one, this time from JC Whitney.

You want one with a built-in volt meter? Just $42 or so from SupraSport.

I started all this with a Google search for "automotive fuse block".
              Screw that...one of the results led me to NexTag.com where you can see all of these and their prices at a glance. \\/

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

I might be too late with this response, but I got mine from http://www.wiringproducts.com/index1.html

Click on "Electrical / Accessories" on left side of main page, and then click on Fuse Blocks. I did my KZ1000 with the third one down - 8 circuit.

They're great quality - I was pleased. Now, one thing to consider is the wires in/out are under the unit, so I had to find an aluminum box to mount the block in. They do offer a raised version now, further down on same page, which I would have opted for. Hope this helps...
                Last edited by Guest; 04-10-2008, 12:34 AM.

Comment

Or you could replace them all with inline fuses for that homegrown look
                  1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                  1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
                    Or you could replace them all with inline fuses for that homegrown look
                    I'm trying to get away from that part...

basically, the other night my headlight went out. I flipped it to low and it worked again. I flipped it to high and it... worked again. I did my own wiring and had to just use inline fuses (and have to remember to turn the lights off, but oh well)

Comment

Working...
                    X